So are second and subsequent pregnancy/childbirths as amazing and exciting as the first?

I LOVED going through it, culminating in the amazing birth of my son 10 1/2 months ago. Now several of my peers are on baby #2 and it's starting to rub off on me. I'm really not quite ready, but I think about it a lot and I look forward to going through it again, but I feel sad because I can't imagine it ever being like it was the first time when it was all new.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 12:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• More amazing, less exciting.

More amazing because with the busy little one already in my life, I found that I went from finding out I was pregnant to being surprised to be really far along... I wasn't constantly aware of everything going on, so I lost track a lot, and was amazed at how much my body changed in what felt like hardly any time.

The first pregnancy was way more exciting, because it was all new and novel and I was learning so much, so quickly. The second was less so because I was still learning so much about my oldest, and I found it spread my attention in two directions which was challenging, but not exciting.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:25 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• To me the main difference is you know what to expect. There is a certain magic with baby 2 because everything is so new but I found all my kids births exiting and they will all be different which is hard to imagine till you go through it. I have three and we are done....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my 1st was when I was 17 and it was "surreal" it was hard to think of myself as a teen mom but got into the groove of things and fast....and when I had my second it was planned and it was amazing!! same with the 3rd and 4th.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• What you lose in excitement is made up for by being comfortable because you know what to expect.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm not a big fan of the whole pregnancy thing due to having very difficult pregnanies but I enjoyed my second birth far more than my first. With my first I didn't know what to expect and had no idea what my body was going to do. So while I was excited about my son being born I also had many fears of delivery and being a parent. With my second son I was able to relax and enjoy it so much more, both the labor and delivery and being a mom of a newborn again.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 10:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Every one is exciting....and nerve racking;) I swear you can tell their personality while they're in your tummy. Each one of mine matches what they were like while I was pregnant. Only thing about knowing what's coming, is I couldn't quit thinking every month "Oh my...it's only getting bigger. And it eventually has to come out" But I also have almost 10 lb babies and almost 24" long. w/out epidural.... Wow..I don't get a gold star for facing the pain. Epidural please...for next time.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 7:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010