Does anyone have experience with ADHD and placing their child in school. What type of school did you pick? Did it work out well?

My son was recently diaganosed and we are trying to decied on Public, Private, and Charter school. He will probably only be in a readiness program this year because he is only 4.5, 5 in Oct. but arn't sure what type of school would best fit his needs. He is a bright boy. Very high verbal and math skills but need a lot of work with fine motor and writing. He recognizes many words and I don't want him to get bored easily in class, but his writing skills are so far behind even with all the work we've been doing all summer. We are looking at OT to help but still wonder about the best fit for him school wise.

laurakp

Asked by laurakp at 12:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make sure the school has a good special ed team, get the teacher on board from day one, and push hard to get an IEP(individual education plan) in place at the start of the year. It takes time to get this going..so be the squeaky wheel so to speak. With our son, the IEP didn't change his difficulties with writing and drawing, focusing abilities, and so on; BUT it changed how the teacher and those in the school responded to him. Also another thing I think is important for ppl to know about ADHD, is that many of these children later on are diagnosed with Aspergers or another autism spectrum disorder, so for you and your son's sake, I think it's very important that you ask the school special ed team for an evaluation for Aspergers. If this survey comes out high, the school team will address his IEP from an Aspergers perspective and will be more willing to meet his needs. Good luck and msg me if you have any more questions.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My dd and my ds have ADHD. What I have found is that what has worked for one does not always work for the other. My dh and I have them both at a private school. It has been a true blessing. My dd has been able blossom,she is going into 4th grade. My ds on the other hand is 6. His pre K teacher thoguht it best to hold him back and we were fine w/that. Some public schools are great in supporting ADHD kids and others are awful. We found that at our local public school all we were going to get was a big fight over any special services or help that my dd needed. They wanted her to fail BEFORE they could or would start giving her extra help~It was emotionally damaging and I think that is just the policy in public education. She suffered,her self esteem,it was torture for dh and I,fighting left and right w/the school. At my dd's new school,she has a tiny class and all the help she needs. We are hopeful that ds will have a cont.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• As well. Even though public schools have to provide IEPs and 504 plans,that does not mean that they have to give the services in a co operative way. It's a toss up wen it comes to schools. When we went into the public school,I did it with the attitude that if things went bad we did have another option Not that I wanted to spend more money!! GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Look for a school with sparse classrooms, and a view to the natural world: a window facing a wilderness and bare walls are better environments for kids who are easily distractable than a room covered in colours and posters and words and images with a window facing a playground or a busy street.

If the teacher is ever going to be the most interesting thing in the room, there needs to be a real shortage of other interesting things to be distracted by.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Make sure he gets a good sensory diet in the classroom. Work with your OT to get the right resources and help your son learn to reset himself with wall pushups or jumping jacks, whatever works for him. If you have him in special ed, Kindergarten is pretty good about keeping a tight schedule and moving the children around the room, changing activities frequently. Just be sure that he continues to get a sensory diet in the classroom as he gets in grade school. First grade is where it all fell apart for my son and it has taken two years to get him back on track.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 10, 2010

• we use publicschools nand have found one with and excellent team and it helps when parents are involed withthe schoola nd childen we have three that are adhd and add, and we have leraned that all three have a rare disorder and that they will always have a learning disorder but we love them and want the best for them. maken sure u ask for thIEP and any specialst y need they have to help u nad provide for ur child our school doe but we drive 25 miles a day for our childen because we take tem to school and back because one of the schools her kick my boys out after two weeks saying they couldn`t learn my ass they didn`t want to deal with them so wen have school of choice we use it here so nI would look in to your public schoolls and talk to them all
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 6:03 AM on Aug. 15, 2010