my daughter is 5 months and still cant self soothe. how do i help her?

i always rock her to sleep and she wont fall asleep or stop crying unless i pick her up.

Sunshine4u300

Asked by Sunshine4u300 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I THINK YOU'VE ALREADY TAUGHT HER WHAT SOOTHES HER, ROCKING HER TO SLEEP! I SHOULDN'T BE TRYING TO HELP I HOLD MY CHILDREN CONSTATNLY. I HAVE AN EIGHT YEAR OLD THAT JUST LEFT MY BED AND AN 8 MONTH OLD THAT REPLACED HER SPOT.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 11:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Have you tried swaddeling her? a lot of babies like that. It makes them feel safe.
    genuinely_real

Answer by genuinely_real at 12:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Mine is 6 months and usually i still hold him until he falls asleep too. Sometimes he falls asleep on his own, and he still sleeps with us at night, but if I just leave him to go to sleep, he just fusses, I think it's normal!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 2:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• just hold her. 5 mos is too young to expect her to do anything alone. my baby is almost 12mos. trust me, you don't wanna waste precious time on this stuff. you soothe her. you'll both feel better about it =)
    Anonymous

• I think it's too soon to expect your little one to self soothe. I tried to get my daughter to sleep on her own at that same age, and it just stressed her out. I'm not a cry it out mom, I tried just patting her, singing etc. Around seven months when she could roll over well she found a better sleeping position and worked it out on her own. Don't rush it.
    rocknrollbaby

Answer by rocknrollbaby at 3:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Five months is really early to expect this. It CAN happen in the first year...but usually much closer to the first birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2008