when did or will you introduce solids?

SCorbeau0616

Asked by SCorbeau0616 at 1:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i started veggies tonight with my ds, he is a little over 4 months. he started cereal at around 3.5 months and on the 4th he had his 4 month dr. appt and our pedi said to start adding veggies, mixed with a small amount of rice cereal so he gets his iron. started with peas and he LOVED them. we are doing a bottle when he wakes up, then some cereal when he starts to get hungry again, followed by another bottle. then he gets a bottle the rest of the day except for at night, he'll get his veggies for dinner, then bottles after that. dr. said to eventually work in to 3 "solid" meals per day. she said they are now encouraging starting from 4-6 months and any baby over 13lbs is more "satisfied" then on an all liquid diet.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'll start DD sometime after 6 months. Trying to discourage allergies. She always wants my food too. But she also wants the remote control, DS's toys, paper, etc. I get so tired of people telling me she must be ready for solids simply because she stares at food.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 1:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i waited till my kids were about 6 months.
    mckomet

Answer by mckomet at 1:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My babies are exclusively breast fed for the first six months.. minimum.. and offered solids when all of the ready signs are reached, usually around their first birthdays. Before the first birthdays, breastmilk is always the meal and solids are just for fun!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 2:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We did no jar food or rice cereal (rice cereal does nothing and is binding from iron overload, jar food is just overpiced and lacks fiber). At 6 months my baby was interested in food but not quite physically ready. AT 7 1/2 months she was ready and we went direct to self feeds and table food mealsharing. We started with avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, ripe pear, banana (not to much), blueberries from my pancakes, ripe peach, soft beans, soft lightly cooked eating apples. Easy peasy and practically free. She didn't eat much, but just enough to satisfy herself. We don't measure things. she breastfeeds. She decides when she's had enough. she's had everything from a 3 bean chili to guacamole to asparagus, to kiwi to broccoli, cauliflower, persimmon and anything except meat, fish, dairy, and grains other than some bread. She is 10 1/2 months now. We follow babyled weaning
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The current research indicates that waiting until 6 months is best for digestive maturity. The studies reveal a lot of problems later in life from early starting (including IBS and other digestive issues) and only benefit to starting later. The signs to look for are sitting well unassisted, loss of tongue thrust (designed to keep soild out, purees bypass this failsafe), chewing mimicry, ability to manipulate food with the tongue in the mouth, and ability to bring food to the mouth. All this, especially pincer grip, coincides with digestive maturity.

FYI most peds only take one class on nutrition in passing and it wasn't their priority. Unless they do their own self-education on current research they just pass on old, outdated information feeds.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Everything Amileegirl said. Exactly.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I introduced solids at 3.5 mos... We did rice cereal then added veggies a week later. She loved it! They say 4-6 mos and the longer you hold off the better but I watched for signs. She always wanted my food and when I tested with the spoon her reflux was gone. She loved it! She started feeding herself at 4 mos and never had a problem.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• when sitting with support is easiest, but usually by 5 months or soon after. I started all of mine no later than 5 months. They have to have the control of their tongue to move the cereal around. Start with more liquid than cereal and gradually make it thicker until the baby can eat most of it without spitting alot back out. Go by readiness cues as opposed to age. Good Luck :)
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 1:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• More toward 12 months. Until then, only breast milk.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2010