Do you let your pet sleep with you in bed?

I have a service dog who is on duty at night. He sleeps either in my bed with me or on the floor next to my bed. He does work during the day, but I need him more at night. He will pull my arm or clothing to get my attention if I am getting ill. I have a queen sized bed so he does not take up too much room.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 1:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Yes! and it's my husbands fault. We were well on our way into crate training him at night and he started to cry and hubby's famous last words were "Oh, come on! One night won't hurt!!!". well fast forward 4 years and It's the "Mama Sandwich. Hubby spoons me one one side and The Sistohas his back to me. That or I wake up to the cocker spaniel  turban. He is on my pillow with his front and hind legs on either side of my head. I still don't know how that doesn't wake me up. lol!

puppy

colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 2:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My mini-pom sleeps with me when my SO is away at work for the week. It's comforting to her and to me. In your case, as a service dog, I would definitely say it's OK!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Well, if it is beneficial to your health, so be it. I, however, am allergic to my dog. While he is an excellent guard dog, he simply has to stay out of my room.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My malamute sleeps on the floor at the end of the bed but does also wander around the house at night. My Alaskan Eskimo is small and she sleeps on the end of the bed in winter but on the floor in the summer. When my hubby was deployed they both slept in the bed with me.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 2:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• When I was younger and not married, my dogs used to sleep in bed with me. Now that I'm married, our dogs aren't allowed to sleep with us. We did just recently get a kitten and he jumps into bed with us while we're asleep some nights.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• As long as the dog is clean, I would not see a problem with it.
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010