Dreads Haircuts...

My 2 1/2 year old HATES the idea of getting a hair cut. I'd have to attribute his feeling to his first hair cut experience. He had the cutest, curliest hair... to me. My husband didn't like it. So, after he turned one, I agree to let him cut it, but I guess we should have discussed it more. I thought he was just going to trim it down some. NOPE! He turned on the clippers and went to town. My husband was practically holding him down, because he was screaming and trying to get away. And that's what did it. Now at 2 1/2 he's only had his hair cut 4 times, and his reaction is always the same... screaming and crying. And it doesn't matter which one of us tries to cut it. We've tried to take him to a barber once, and he refused. I try to point out when we see other kids getting their hair cut, and he doesn't seem to care. Any of you have this problem? How can I help it? Suggestions?

JDanesMommy

Asked by JDanesMommy at 11:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son hates them too so i try to do it once every 6 months or less... for his 1st cut he went to a barber and watched dad get his cut fist... then we had him in the chair.. he hated it soo much... the barber barely got any cut but he atleast got his hair outa his face... at least barber didnt charge.. 2nd cut was just dad and he said he did fine... same with his last cut dad took him and he did good he came home a totally different baby!! i tried to cut it on my own with sissors when he was in the tub and he always got mad cause i pulled to much... maybe try sissors...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 12:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I'd just let it grow until he's ready to cut it! But thats just me! Choose your battles!
    jamiebrandon

Answer by jamiebrandon at 12:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL COST CUTTERS IN YOUR AREA THEY USUALLY HAVE THESE COOL KIDS CHAIRS I KNOW MINE IS LIKE A HOT WHEELS RACE CAR THAT MAKES NOISES AND HE CAN HONK THE HORN... ALSO WE HAVE HAD HIM WATCH HIS DAD FIRST AND THEN JUST SET HIM UP ON DADDYS LAP FOR HIS CUT.... AND SUCKERS ALWAYS WORK LIKE GIVE HIM ONE B4 YOU CUT IT AND LET HIM SUCK ON THAT WHILE HE IS GETTING HIS HAIR CUT!! BUT NO MATTER HOW BAD HE IS AND MINE WAS HORRIBLE AT FIRST ITS BETTER TO GO TO THE BARBER BECAUSE THEY KNOW HOW TO AVOID AN ACCIDENT SUCH AS AN EAR BEING SNIPPED RATHER THAN US HOLDING THEM DOWN AND TRYING TO GET AT THEM WITH THE SISSORS LOL... HOPE THIS HELPS
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Thanks for the replies! I don't think using scissors would work. Since his hair was cut with clippers, it's grown in a lot thicker. ANnd think it would just make his hair look choppy, lol. We don't have any kid friendly shops in our area though. I wish we did. I might just have to wait it out, and let him get comfortable witht it.... AND get over the fact that i really don't like how his hair looks when it starts growing out in all directions, lol.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 12:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Try letting him cut a few locks off. That might let him understand that it doesn't really hurt. Then let him help to shave his head. It might work.
    mom3cutieboyz

Answer by mom3cutieboyz at 1:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I cut my own son's hair...he's NEVER like it cut either but has recently calmed down a bit. I cut it at night when he falls asleep....sounds crazy but it gets the job done and it looks great when he wakes up..haha...I don't know what to tell you. I'm definately NOT a professional, no formal training but I do know HOW to cut hair and how I want it to look...and if I screw it up I am to blame haha
    schae4

Answer by schae4 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2008