Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

What else do you do when you have tried everything?

I am asking this question pertaining to my 14 y/o son.He has epilepsy,adhd,bipolar disorder,conduct disorder,and placed in special ed. for ld/bd.Over the past few months he has started smoking cigarettes every chance he gets.(no one smokes in my home) started smoking marijuana,and looking to adults to obtain what he cant get,his behavior is so out of control that he was placed inpatient at a mental health hospital but he was discharged after a week.I have a 16 y/o son that moved out of the home and in with my parents bc he could no longer emotionally handle the chaos in the home.I also have a 6 y/o daughter who all but begs me to let him remain @ his dads bc she doesnt want him tormenting her any longer.His father and I arent together but have tried everything to help from drs to social workers,you name it.Tonight I found out he tried to get weed from a 21 y/o man who offered him pills,police were called,what else to try??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • Well, IMO, first and foremost, you need to seriously think about this little six year old's request. She has done nothing to deserve what these teenagers are putting her through. I would seek an alternative housing option for both boys. At 14 and 16, both boys really could live with their father, if he would okay it. As much as I can empathize with you here, you simply must focus on the child's well being, I believe. Others may feel differently.

    Answer by m-avi at 1:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • Within an hour of me posting this question my 14 y/o was dropped off by his father.He had not been at my house fore 10 minutes when he says ...let me see your phone.....I give it to him and he comes back a few min.later and says he called the police,sure enough 2 police show up @ my house,his father comes back and tells the police the reason he dropped him off is bc yesterday he found out that our son took 2 kolonopin,(not sure exactly how to spell the drug) I said"that could have killed him!!" his father just left and went to bring him to the emergency room to try and have him committed again,I think they will once they do blood work and know that he already takes a high dose of depakote for seizures and abilify.But that will only be for a week.We are at the point that we dont know what else to do for him.Im afraid that he will try and kill himself everyday he does something worse than the day b4 and no one will listen.

    Answer by jordan28 at 3:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • I would look seriously at the local children's hospitals and get in touch with their behavioral clinic. The psychiatrist would have the ability to put him in patient longer. You also have to be willing to call the police for the illegal action....each and everytime. We have a son with ODD and the most important thing with this disorder is to have a clear list of rules/consequences and not stray from it. You have to be willing to call the proper authorities when they test the line....and unfortunately they will test the line as much as possible.

    Answer by semazani at 7:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.