How long do art supplies stay good?

I have a whole bunch of art supplies that my son hasn't been using lately and I was wondering how long does this stuff last? It is stuff like paints and different types of glue. I can't decide if I should put this stuff away in case he needs or wants it or if I should donate it. But I am not sure how long it will last. If anyone knows that would be great.

cutie222

Asked by cutie222 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Most will last a very long time. Like Erin just said the glue you can tell will dry out and crust. Glue sticks don't last as long as glue in a bottle. Paint will seprate but can be shaken to remix. When paint starts to get things in it that look like snot it is bad toss it. Air is what causes the supplies to go bad. So what I have done with some markers and such. Mostly because I live right at 100 miles round trip to the nearest walmart target or kmart. I bought the vaccum sealer gizmoe the hand held one you don't have to pay a ton for in the baggie isle. Put markers in one bag, glue in one ect.. sucked the air out of them and have stored them in the extra closet as a just in case. So if you have a little you can do the same if you have a lot would donate. Hope this helps.
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 4:37 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm not sure of the shelf life, but you'll be able to see when they start to dry out, separate, or crust.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 1:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Some have a shelf life longer than Twinkies! I stocked my sons kindergarten supply box with stuff his 16/17 brothers had left over from elementary school days! As long as things are closed tight.... you are good to go!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2010