Question about Elementary school teachers?

I am curious if Elementary school teachers can teach any grade in Elementary school or are they trained to just teach one certain grade. I know that some of the teachers at the school my son went to seem to change the grade level they teach. Like a 1st grade teacher is now going to be a 3rd grade teacher. Is this the norm and how does this work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in

• It really depends on their certification and state laws. Some teachers have certification to teach K-3rd grade and some have certification to teach K- 5th (sometimes 6th). In some states you can go through an Elementary Education program in college and then take a test and teach certain classes/subjects in middle and high school. Also, depending on the state, a person can have a B.S. in anything, take the state teaching test and get a provisionally licenses to teach. They will then be observed and take a few classes and after about a year they will get their full licenses. Overall, though most teachers are trained on subjects and pedagogy.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes..this apparently is normal since in my son's school at the end of the year I heard some talk about how many of the teachers are switching the grade that they teach. I guess it keeps things interesting, and from them becoming complacent with their job. I'm not sure as to the real how are why they do this though...whether it is by choice or what they are expected to do from time to time.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 2:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Elementary teachers are generally open for K-5....sometimes 6 as far as I know. They have to have a middle school degree for higher grades....
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 9:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm a teacher in Missouri and I'm certified to teach grades 1-6. What happens in a lot schools is that if the enrollment numbers change the school may not need, for example, as many 3rd grade teachers as they did the year before. So usually the teacher from that grade who has been at that school the shortest amount of time will get moved to another grade. Sometimes teacher will ask to switch grades when there's an opening, but other times they have to move because of the enrollment numbers.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think that certifications vary depending on the state and curriculum for the grades. I have several teachers I know at my son's school that are certified to teach several grades.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They don't get training for a specif grade. It's all generalized education stuff. They don't even need a BA in education to teach. A person could have a BA in computer science and be teaching 1st grade, because they were given a license from the state to teach. To get a license generally speaking you need a BA (any BA) and to pass the state teacher/eduction test. In some state you can get a SUBSTITUTION teaching license with just 60 college credit hours (2 years of college) and some on the job experience. (an aide in a classroom). In some states, generally speaking, you only need a High school diploma or GED to be a aide in a classroom.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• In Ohio, they can teach in elementary (K-5 or 6 depending on the district) with one certification, if they want to teach in middle or high school additional training/certification is required.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It depends on their degree. There are a couple of them. Prek-3, 1-6, 6-12 so they can switch grades. My cousin has a 1-6 degree and went from middle school to teaching 3rd grade.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2010