TMI! tearing while in labor.. does this myth help? adult content

I know TMI, but I dont want to tear even tho i know its VERY common. I heard if you wipe olive oil down once everyday it will prevent from tearing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not if you wipe it, if you use it to massage your perenial (sp?) area once a day it will help you not to tear, also kegels will help the more kegels you do the less severe your tearing will be. But no, to the best of my knowledge just smearing olive oil on your goodies isn't going to help you to not tear.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 2:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• BTW your perinium is the flesh between your vaginal cavity and your anus, what would be referred to as the "gooch" on a male. I just thought I'd throw that in since I wasn't sure if you knew or not.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 2:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yea and do not be afraid to have the doctor snip during birth - just make sure you know and truly trust your doctor... i hve heard horror stories about ripping but i myself i was fine. i got the epidural and during birth my boyfriend my best friend and my mom were there. i heard some weird snipping noise so i asked... my little group all looked at each other in horror and my doctor ignored me. every one knewwww that if they told me i would be scared... i asked to many times though so my dr did tell me. i got very quiet after that and it was funny. ahh my perinium is fine now. i had a well educated doctor ... eee
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Depending on the size of your baby, your OB or midwife may perform an episiotomy. My midwife gave me one shortly before my son emerged to prevent tearing. A stitched epi will heal much better and tighter (lol!) than a stiched tear. My epi was totally healed in less than a week.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I prefer an intact perineum myself.
    I find that the best preparation is education.
    Know that how a mom labors-pushes and who is attending her is most relevant.
    Massage is not sufficient from what I have read-- there are things you can do... but you asked about olive oil.
    When I have been at hospital births, the doctor/midwife will often rub it in vigorously... (not a prenatal exercise).
    :- /
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• its wont help, thats probably something you wont even be thinking about when you go into labor. my midwife put oil on me when i was pushing, i more or less wanted to kick her in the face bc it hurt so bad from her touching me, coulda been the hormones too lol. she was trying to keep me from ripping but i ripped anyway, its really not that bad bc your already sore from every by the end. i would wipe anythind down there you might end up with a nasty infection.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• @MoMoFu......I am appalled(sp?) that your doc just did it (gave you the episiotomy) w/o asking first. My midwife informed me first. Of course I only has seconds to okay it but I remember saying "go ahead, do what you have to do just get him out as soon as possible". I was tired of pushing, and I know I had not been pushing that long but I was pushing the wrong way and it wore me out a whole quicker.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• whole lot quicker
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:20 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nope. And perineal massage has actually shown to increase the risk of tearing. The best things you can do to prevent tearing are eating a really healthy diet with omega 3s and lots of water (to keep your tissues supple), laboring and birthing in positions other than laying on your back, and pushing only when YOU have the urge.

Here's some decent information: http://www.glorialemay.com/blog/?p=66
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• There's a lot of debate about whether or not perennial massage actually works. I think it's more about the position you birth in and how fast baby comes that will determine whether or not you tear.  It's honestly just sometimes a part of birth and there are some remedies that you can use to deal with any discomfort. 

Truthteller-guidelines have actually changed in the last few years and most OBs now realize that episiotomies are not better than having a woman tear on her own.  Healing time is quicker, rate of infection is lower and OBs at one time were overzealous with cutting women who wouldn't have torn.  I'm glad that yours healed quickly but also sad that you live in a world where having your vagina "sewn up tighter" is funny.

JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 4:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2010