What do you think of McCain's health care plan?

McCain plans to tax your employers for the insurance they provide you. In turn this will force many companies to drop medical insurance. McCain thinks that a $5,000 deduction will help you pay for a private insurance plan. Private insurance averages around $12,000 a year and goes up depending on the quality of the plan.

logansmomma2007

Asked by logansmomma2007 at 12:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am a voting Republican and I support McCain for President, BUT I am never for increasing taxes of any kind. I am for the flat tax that distributes the tax burden on everyone. I am a tax preparer. If McCain becomes President then I would definitely opose the tax, but i'm not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• McCain IS the lesser of the two evil if that's what u want.
    Anonymous

• McCain's plan is actually cheaper,
    we will no longer have our insurance payments taken out before taxes, but because employers tend to have better insurance, more people will flock back to their employer sponsored care. This will result in lower premiums. That $5k will more than cover premiums and will allow people to potentially change their level of coverage.
    For those who are not covered by employers, this would give you$5k to reduce your out of pocket costs. No, it is not a handout, but we don't need a country of handouts.

Plus, although we would be taxed on our premiums, not the $5k but our portion of the the total payout, those of us with children will get DOUBLE the child tax credit than what we currently receive.

Talk about more $$$ in our pockets!!! Plus, if you don't typically use insurance, purchase a high deductible plan, and then put the rest in HSA, which is also tax deductible.
    Anonymous

• I am all for eliminating the tax break employers get for providing health insurance. All the people I know (unless they have govt jobs) have nothing good to say about the healthcare they receive via their employer. My husband's benefit package sucks. He pays close to $200 a month for just himself, we can't afford to put myself on his plan so I still dont have insurance. I want to be able to choose my own package, my own Dr's, and my own prescription coverage. With McCain's plan he forces the heathcare co's to fight for our money so prices go down and healthcare wont be as expensive. we wont need my employers package anymore I can choose my own, FOR LESS!!!!
    At least McCain has said how he is going to pay for his plan, has anyone heard Obama say how he plans to pay for his. Oh yeah, those Money trees they tend to grow over in Highland Park.
    lilac84

Answer by lilac84 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Currently, we pay $4,000 a year for an open access plan. If my employer drops me then we are left to find another plan, most likely a HMO, which typically costs around $12,000 a year. Even with McCain's $5,000 tax deduction, that leaves me to pay $7,000 a year. That is $3,000 a year more than I am paying now. We can't afford that which means we would probably go without insurance.

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• McCain's healthcare plan blows. It wont fix the problem of millions of uninsured Americans. Its more of the same.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 3:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Perhaps I do not completely understand how things work, but what I see in a sense is that if we as individuals need to purchase our own insurance or pay for medical costs out of pocket that as consumers we can drive costs down. If A insurance company charges less than B insurance company then A will have more business till B drops their price to be competitive. Same with medical offices, etc. If doctors offices had to survive in a competitive market and not inflate there fees in order to get paid a fair amount from insurance companies- medical costs could be less. $5000 could be plenty.
    lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I don't understand any of this. The 5000. How is that going to be given? Are they going to send out a check? I am sorry if I sound stupid but, I am being serious. We are so, we already have health ins. SO, I am just wondering how this will work.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It sucks, more of the same old same. McCains plan will lead to at least 20 million more Americans being without any healthcare, on top of the 50 million that already exist.
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 6:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• McCain's health care plan stinks. I agree with Mrs. Bonita, it will lead to more Americans without health insurance coverage. 

Obama's  plan is more comprehensive. It is going to question the high cost of medical care, he also wants to eliminate the pre-existingcondition clause. Many American cannot get health insurance coverage to treat pre-existing conditions which is a disgrace. Imagine being diagnosed with cancer, loosing your job, then your insurance and not being able to get coverage to treat your cancer because your cobra ran out. You have 18 months to get new coverage while on cobra for the pre-existing condition to be covered, if not, insurance will not cover it.

Anonymous