Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Lice Shampoos

Okay somehow I got headlice, my dh went out and bought the otc shampoo kits for me. He got Pronto and Rid and I used both. We rinsed my hair mostly in the sink but some of the shampoo was on the nape of my neck and upper back and after we rinsed as well as we could I jumped in the shower and then read you should never do this and now I am paranoid I will get cancer or something. Anyone have any advice or experience or war stories to share?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

Answers (5)
  • you will be fine, it can just cause some skin irratation. but you washed it off, you should be good. i work with kids and somehow, brought them home once. had to do my dd who was just barely 4 at the time, then dh had to do mine! what a nightmare! we used the rid, did the comb treatment and followed up with the shampoo. after hours of work...we were bug free!

    Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • If you ever get head lice again - please know that the leading lice shampoo contains a potent pesticide called Lindane, which has been known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, liver damage and many other health issues. Lindane has been banned in 52 countries and severely restricted in 33 others. Do not expose yourself or your kids to this sometimes deadly treatment when there is a natural, safe, non-toxic, chemical free, and effective way to prevent and treat lice infestations. For more information please contact me.

    Answer by Dew1 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

  • make sure to get every single nit out of your hair cause if you leave ONE it will reinfest.

    Answer by Aasiyah at 7:36 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

  • As Dew1 pointed out lice treatment shampoos have a seriously potent potion of poisonous pesticides. There are some really effective natural/alternative treatments. Another problem, besides the fact that we are exposing ourselves to poison when we used the commercial products is that lice are become immune to the pesticides and strengths are having to be increased in order to control the lice. The most important thing to do when you have lice, no matter which lice bug killing method you choose, is to comb the nits out of the hair. Don't even bother with the plastic comb that comes with the kits. Invest in a metal comb and painstakingly go through your entire head with it. The phrase nit-picking was coined for a reason, it is a tedious process, but is worth the trouble in the end.


    Answer by cleanaturalady at 1:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2010

  • RID

    Answer by sstepph at 10:48 AM on Sep. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.