what is the best way to remove dust from patios?

I have two huge patios in my new apartment. I recently moved to a very dusty country. I sweep the dust but i find that i am getting alot of colds. Is it better to sweep the dust or mop it? and how do you do it?

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 4:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• take a bucket/glass/hose, poor water on your patio, and if your living in the part of the world I think you are, take your giant squeegee thing you probably have (if not get one at the souk they are handy) and push the dirty water into the drain that should be on the floors of your balconies or straight off the patio if you are ground floor/single family home. Sweep after the floor dries if you like, most of the sand and dust should be gone.
    NoGoodName4Me

Answer by NoGoodName4Me at 6:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They sell coiled water hoses that attach to a kitchen sink if you do not have a water spout outside.It's like a narrow garden hose that is coiled & stretches very far. Measure the distance that you need and go to a store like Home Depot & look for one. They actually sell it for indoor potted plants but you could use it daily to clean your patio & water your outdoor plants too.
    I found this on BUY.com "The Rumford Gardener GA1001 40 Foot Indoor/Outdoor Coil Hose with Spray Wand", it's pricey but you could find one cheaper but this is the idea.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You didn't say if they were open or screened. If they are screened I would try something like swiffer they have a vaccum and a mop. Vaccum first and mop second. I live in the country and mine area is open so we used the hose. I know you are in a apartment but is there a water connection outside or close to the area you need to clean. That really would be the best way to blast if off and not have to deal with the dust at all. When we lived in Germany my mother had a attachement that hooked to the faccet in the kitchen that she could then attach a hose too. Just a thought if you don't have a water source.
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 5:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• try wiping it down with a rag & bucket of water if you can't use a hose.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010