Is boarding your pet while you go on vacation humane?

I have a dog that is so sweet.but she has anxiety when we leave her for vacations and long weekends/I have never boarded her.It is very hard to find someone willing to house/pet sit for you.when you board them, do they get treated nicely?Or do the pets stay stuck in the cages all the time?

evelynwest

Asked by evelynwest at 5:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• I think it depends on where you go. I would call around and try to find a place that will take her for daily walks and such. I would also inspect the facilty and see if the dogs look happy and comfy or if they look mistreated.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try to find a place with indoor/outdoor kennels. They also have luxury kennels...... They each have their own room complete with a couch and tv, etc.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Seriously? Its a dog. If your that worried about how it will be treated, make accommodations to take it with you. Call around, get references.....just like you would a sitter for your kid.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:37 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you find a nice place I think you should go and not worry about boarding, but enjoy the trip.
    minasmama6

Answer by minasmama6 at 6:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I just boarded one of my dogs for five days. I had to do it since he is an escape artist. He was very upset and did not eat much at all. It was not what I wanted to do but I knew he was safe. Maybe you can find someone you trust to stay in your home w/your dog. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We boarded ours at our vets. They have a doggy play area and teens that come in everyday to play with them and scoop poop.. LOL So our two would race to the door when they saw the building.
    Wittyprncess

Answer by Wittyprncess at 6:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Our vet has a Pet Spa. Like Wittyprncess, they have an outdoor play area and teens that come in everyday to play with them. My dog loves other dogs and enjoys going to the spa.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It really depends on the dog & the place... My sis boarded her dog & he lost alot of weight & was so stressed while she was gone.. Understand this dog has to take meds every time it storms too! And has seperation anxiety & cant be left for more than a few hrs at home..
    Take your dog with you to tour the place. Im sure you can get your doggymomma vibe from him :-)
    If you have time see if its possible for him to go there a few times before you go out of town so he gets adjusted to everything before his long stay...
    A pet doesnt understand "my momma is going on vacation & will come back" .. they are suddenly dropped in a strangers hand. strange place with lots of dogs... It must be scary for them (especially if they have ever been in the pound).
    Best of luck to you & your dog...Enjoy your vacation.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We had to board our dog once over Christmas holiday, not because we were going out but because my step-dad brought his overly aggressive dog to our house and was hurting our dog. Our dog at the time was a puppy. So to protect our dog and to keep peace in the house, we boarded him at pet smart. He wasn't kept in a cage the entire time. They walk them at least twice a day and play with them. They said he was very happy and managed to pick up some social skills while he was there. He was a rather young and skittish puppy, so we were happy. And when we picked him up, he was happy. :)
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Do your homework and everything should be fine. Might try dropping by unexpected!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010