Irrational Tantrum

A friend of mine's daughter has been throwing a "tantrum" for litterally three days straight. My friend isnt able to care for her other child fully because of it. She called me this morning I was able to hear the whole time she is trying to regain sanity by talking to me her daughter is screaming. She says shes been going on and on like this for the three days. She screams at her mom that she hates her but then turns around and says no she doesnt she loves her. THen it's the mommy hold me and not brother. I told her she should take her in to the DR. and see what they think but she thinks theyll ship her off to the "looney bin". It's been going on for too long and she's at her witts end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Health

• SHE NEEDS TO TRY TO SPEND SOME ALONE TIME WITH THE DAUGHTER. SHE IS BEGGING FOR ANY KIND OF ATTENTION SHE CAN GET FROM MOM. GOOD LUCK TO HER.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 12:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I would find something for her that only you and her can do together. She's either begging for more attention, sugared-out, over-tired or just plain throwing a fit because she can. I'm sure a Dr. would not put her in a looney-bin. Kids can throw tantrums for awhile and then just stop. Sometimes it's a food product that sets them off, try a food diary for her. She could not be tolerating a certain grain or something else she eats regularly. Juggling children is difficult if either is unhappy but hang in there, tell her she will get through this.
    Anonymous

• You need to get out of the house for a little while and take a break. Let someone else watch your daughter for a little while. Maybe someone else can get her to settle down. Don't reward her for a temper tantrum. wait until she calms down then talk to her. Then try to find away to spend sometime alone with her.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• How old is the child? 3 days is a long time for a running tantrum. It's possible she has some kind of pain she is experiencing but doesn't know how to express. It's also possible she got into something toxic and it is affecting her behavior. This does not sound like a case of a spoiled child that is just having a fit, and it could be dangerous to treat it as such. She needs to swallow her fears and get her child the help she needs. They don't make it a habit to throw children into the "looney bin" to begin with, and it may turn out she is just having a particularly bad emotional episode revolving around jealousy of her sibling...but it is far preferable to be safe than sorry.

cont
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Is there anyone else around the child? Does she go to day care or preschool? I only ask because if this is a sudden change, it could be an indicator of something going on outside the home also, such as abuse. It's important to follow up with this, and your friend needs to make sure to do so.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My son would have temper tantrums and cry over little things for hours and would also get violent at times. Doctors wanted to put him on Ritalin and other drugs. I did not want him on drugs. Many people said he was spoiled and he was doing it for attention. I knew this was not the case and I started reading a lot of books. I ended up putting him on a very sticked diet, no sugar, flour, milk, yeast and more. It was hard but well worth it. I figured out on my own that he had food allergies, food sensitivities, and candida. No one could believe that he was the same child. Milk gives him an asthma attack. Yeast makes him violent and throw major fits. Sugar will make him depressed and cause him to cry uncontrollably. No one knows your child better then you. Start reading and investigating on your own. It may not be food but food does have much more of an affect on us then we think. Good luck to your friend.
    Redsoxfanalways

Answer by Redsoxfanalways at 10:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2008