what kind of moisturizer do you use for your hair

i have a young daughter with very dry hair and scalp. I have been using water with shea butter to moisturize and then seal it with coconut oil but i am not sure if that is a good thing for her hair. She is 3 years old. What do you use and or recommend?

Aasiyah

Asked by Aasiyah at 5:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• a protien treatment once a week..

you can either buy them.. (they will have protein, keratin, and/or biotin listed as ingredients)..

or make them at home with mayo/eggs/olive oil etc.

also a good conditioner.. something again with protein/keratin, or biotin in it... like joico's k-pac.

use a light shampoo.. like joico's k-pac shampoo.. stay away from products like suave or pantene.. too damaging to hair..
    and stay away from clarifying shampoos.. you want a good soft shampoo.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:01 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I use unrefined shea butter, extra virgin olive oil, and cantu shea butter leave in. You sound like you are keeping her hair moisturized. Is the coconut oil extra virgin? Is she going to sleep with a satin cap on her head or on a satin pillow?
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I use California Baby for my 2 year old.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 5:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I also really like the California Baby. Anything natural is good because kids with dry and sensitive skin do not need chemicals on their head.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• California Baby... or burts bee.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Garnier Fructis has a whole line of conditioners with one for each type of hair. It really works well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i agree with mshousewife..if this is to much try using a water based moisturizer that you can spray if needed
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 7:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• you want protein/keratin in the hair because that is what the hair is made out of.. healthy hair = happy hair.

if your dd has extra curly coily hair.. try eggs/mayo/olive oil or castor oil/ and some a dab of vaseline to really seal it in there good.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• "I use unrefined shea butter, extra virgin olive oil, and cantu shea butter leave in. You sound like you are keeping her hair moisturized. Is the coconut oil extra virgin? Is she going to sleep with a satin cap on her head or on a satin pillow? "

No she isn't sleeping with anything on her head. I am no longer in the US.. so i'll have to see how i can get a satin cap or something . I am not sure the coconut oil is extra virgin. i no longer have th original bottle. I'm not sure if i am moisturing enough. i do the shea butter thing once every two weeks and i wet her hair and pass a little oil on it daily when i do her braids.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 2:29 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• oh hazel great info..thanks i'll try that also.
    Aasiyah

Comment by Aasiyah (original poster) at 3:12 AM on Aug. 7, 2010