If you keep a journal (or diary)...

just how expressive are you? How explicit?

I am interested in starting a creative journal but in the past I've always shredded or burn what I've written in case it was ever found (ooo, no thankyou!).

Knowing that your journal might be read by someone else one day, are you still totally frank, explicit and expressive? Or do you measure it a bit and leave some stuff out?

Thanks!

Ma.Poppins

Asked by Ma.Poppins at 6:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

Level 1 (-38 Credits)
  • I've always kept journals and I've shredded a few too. As I've gotten older I've regretted destroying them. The way I deal with journaling is by living my life in a manner that I'm not ashamed to write about. That way, I can be explicit as I wish without having to hid from every mirror.

However, my mom kept a diary and was very paranoid that someone was reading it. She died when I was 11 and I'm very glad she kept one. And yes it was read and I'm glad to be able to hold on to some part of my mom, even if it was all the bits she was uncomfortable with. She's my mom and I love her no matter what.

isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i don't keep a journey i just write. i've tried to keep one but i kept running out of things to write.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have always kept journals, and my level of explicitness depends on the subject I am writing about. I may be extremely explicit about one situation, and leave out all details of another! Honey, if it's your journal, write what you are comfortable with!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 7:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't screen my own blog for accuracy, objectivity, or frankness/explicitness. I write what I write, when I remember to. LOL If I've named someone in it, or if it's something I'm worried about, I can always create a private post (no one but me can see), or I can create a protected post (where only those with the password for each specific post can view it). This usually keeps prying eyes out of what I'm doing. It does help to not use my real name on my blogging account too, so people who know me IRL & do a search for me, won't find it. ;-)
    VexAzn

Answer by VexAzn at 7:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• @Noel1978 - Perhaps you aren't necessarily running out of things to write, but you're overwhelmed with lots to write, & it gets pushed to the back of your mind as other things happen. Then you think you'll remember to write when u get home @ nite, & instead find yourself too tired or whatever to do so (or too scatterbrained like moi). Ever since I found an app for my blog that allows me to create posts from anywhere (like while waiting at a doctor's office), I've found myself blogging more often. Sometimes I just have a little rant to get off my chest & it's not worth an entire blog page, so I use twitter for these micro-blog posts.
    VexAzn

Answer by VexAzn at 7:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ive had diaries ever since I learned how to write.. Not everything is in them, but when I read them, I know whats going on.. Sometimes I see special marks in my diary or certain words & I know it means something else.. lol...
    But since i dont hide stuff from my mom anymore (lol) Im pretty open with what i write. I dont think Ive left anything out in the last few years. But again I am married so its not like im sleeping around in my diaries. I write openly about problems weve had & stuff..
    One day when Im gone my kids & whoever may read these. It doesnt bother me... It is kinda cool
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My journals are extremely explicit. I have a house full of people who wouldn't open one and look at the words for a million dollars in cash. I don't know how this happened, because I certainly never made any indication that I thought them reading it would result in anything dire... but I do know that not one of them has ever, or will ever, read my journals without my invitation.

I don't care what they do with them when I die.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I am very open in it. I do not hold back...
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2010