Getting up at the crack of dawn to put myself together. Is it worth it?

I have a 1yr old, a 2yr old and a 3yr old. I am a stay at home mom, and normally I wake up at 6. I am in a fashion rut. I almost never wear makeup. I can't afford to get my hair done and I can't remember when was the last time I got my nails done. Should I wake up an hour earlier (5AM) to put myself together or should I just wait till the kids are a little older to jump back into the world of fashion and beauty? My husband is military and leaves to work at the crack of dawn so my normal routine is to shower in the evenings when he gets off work.

guam_mama

Asked by guam_mama at 7:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I think it makes you feel better. So I do it. I get up at 6:00am and get myself together. This is my time by myself to have some quiet and a cup of coffee. My daughter just turned 3. When she gets up my day starts with play dates ect. Have A Great Mommy Day!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Personal preference....... some people sleep in their make up, other people actually leave the house in pajama pants.....
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't wear any make up, I don't dress fancy I just do wht I need to do... So you do wht you feel you need to do...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:27 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think in an everyday routine, it might be helpful if you get up and shower at least. And then on weekends when your Dh is home, you should try to wear some makeup, and wear nice clothes. Are you saying you don't have money to get a haircut? I would find someone who can do it at home if you can't afford professional. I know with military, you a lot of the time have SAHM's on base who have past professions. My Dh is in the military, and I know people who do nails and hair and even eyebrows for cheap out of their home.
    I only have one child, so not sure how much time you have, but a shower in the morning, and a little makeup on the weekends goes a long way for my self esteem.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 7:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'm a veteran so "back in the day," getting up early to toss on some BDUs & put my hair up didn't require much thought on my part. LOL Now I'm A SAHM with a 6yr old & a 14yr old, and my hubby's gotta be @ work by 6am. Did I mention that I do all the driving, so I try to leave the house by 5:30am to get him to work 10min early?! I'm up at 5:20am & do nothing but check my hair, toss on colored lipgloss, wear yoga pants/sweats & take off. He's not mentally awake yet & it's so early/dark out that no one's around to see how I look anyway.

When I get back home & aren't tempted to crawl back in bed for a few more hours, I'll stay up in the outfit I have on or in PJs & get some quiet chores, college assignments, etc. done. By the time the kids are up, I feel like I've accomplished a lot & can start to relax, take a shower, put makeup on without worrying about sweating it off, & that sort of thing. LOL
    VexAzn

Answer by VexAzn at 7:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• thanks for your input vaxazn, i am prior service myself but have been out for over 4yrs now, i think i am so used to waking up at 6...if i had to get up any earlier than that i would cry hahaha!!!
    guam_mama

Comment by guam_mama (original poster) at 8:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I like having quiet time in the morning. I don't really use too much of it to put myself together, as I prefer a low-maintenance look with just a touch of makeup. I just like being able to take my time when I'm putting myself together, when I'm waking up, when I'm planning the day ... I like that nice relaxed pace in the morning, it sets a great tone for the entire day. So getting up early is worth it to me.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:37 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If it really bothers you and you would like to look in the mirror during the day and feel good, then by all means spend a little bit of time in the morning putting yourself together. Even just showering and putting on a tiny bit of makeup and pulling your hair back into a cute clip or something can make me feel a little better when I feel frumpy.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If it makes you feel better then yes. Me, I put make up and do my hair in the morning. I take showers at night time or when ds is napping,
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• In the summer you can relax your routine. But I do my hair and if I don't have time for the makeup wear shades and look neat when going out.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010