Getting Up Too Early!

As of late my 2 1/2 year old has been rising @ 5. Before he was potty trained we would let him play in his room while we snoozed another hour. He wears a pullup but by the time he gets up we have to take him to the potty because he is either completely soaked or poo and we have to change and clean him or we need to take him to the potty to go. After this he's rearing to go and wants to eat, play etc. My poor husband and I are exausted. My husband doesn't do well with this and is easily annoyed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get some more rest in the AM?

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 7:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What time does he go to bed? My dd is 2 and her bedtime is 9, she wakes up at 7 or 8. If she goes to bed at 10 or 11 she wakes up at 6. Maybe try putting him to bed sooner.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• He's in bed by 7. I've tried other times and there is no rhyme or reason as to when he is up. Believe me I'd love to put him to bed dooner. Ha! But he naps til almost 4 somedays.
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 7:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you find a way to get a kid to sleep in later, let me know! My son is a lot younger than yours (he's still just 12 months) but we also struggle with the 4:30-5 am wake up time. I've found that making sure he gets a little more sleep (desperately try to get good naps and goes to bed a little earlier than I would like) means he now wakes up a little later (usually around 5:30-6). Everything I've heard/read/seen indicates that early waking is just hard-wired in them, but the more sleep he gets, the more he will sleep!

But regarding the wet/poopy situation, could you change something in his eating/drinking schedule so that he poos during the day? Someone else on this site, suggested V8 juice in the morning to get things going. I haven't tried this yet, but I like the idea. Also maybe don't give him a drink an hour before bed. They also sell absorbent pads you can put in pull-ups or diapers to wick away more moisture.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would cut back the naps. Do one nap from 1:30-3:00. If he is still sleeping at 3 wake him up. Too much sleep during the day can interfere with a good nights sleep just as much as the bed time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I did used to wake him up from his naps but it only made putting him to bed a nightmare bcause he was overtired. As soon as I let him nap again he would go to bed just fine. It's soo frustrating. Who knew!

oooh..I didnt know about the absorbant pads..thats a great call...thanks!!
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• let him nap but make the time he naps shorter. You may have to go to bed a bit earlier as well......Make sure his room is really really dark you may want to put a fan in his room for white noise or get a white noise machine...G/L
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I can't help too much, from 18 months to 2 my son woke at 430 or 5 every morning. Its slowly gone up to 530 or 6 but it really doesn't matter, actually the later I put our son to bed, the earlier he rises and lately he will not go to bed early either. It is frustrating but I gave in to my irritation and accepted he will be an early riser and its less difficult to deal with. tell your husband to get ear plugs if he's not handling it well. its not something your son can help
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My daughter was doing the same thing. The first thing I did was put her to bed at 8 instead of 7 and then that helped but when she would wake up early I would just go in there and tell her its not time to get up yet give her her blanky and lay her back down and after a couple times of that she got the hang of it and now she goes to bed at 8 and wakes up at 8
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 12:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Go to bed earlier?

Clearly, one of the people in this house is capable of getting enough sleep. What is he doing differently from what you are doing so that you're exhausted and he's not?

I run into so many people who have sleep issues, and none of them are ever the babies.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree our bedtime should be earlier but we are generally in bed by 10 (which compared to most I know is REALLY early). My problem is I am a night person. I used to be sort of an insominac before kids (now I can't get enough sleep..lol). So often I have good intentions on going to slep @ 9:30 or 10 but can't do it until almost midnight. To give my husband some credit he works from 8-8 or later most days and he would like some time to exercise and for himself. So it is hard. He also dos not see him much which is why the AM shift was his but 4:30-5 AM is killing him.

Believe me we would let him play for an hour or so becaus he has a gate on his room but he is soaking wet and all he wants is to go potty. Which I don't blam him. Hence once he sees us it's all over..
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010