going from 1 child to two..

what was the hard parts/best parts? my dd will be 23 (almost 24 months) when this one is born what was your pros/cons about it?

oppsdiditagain

Asked by oppsdiditagain at 7:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Honestly going from 2 to 3 kids was easier for me than going from 1 to 2.

When you have only one child - all your time and energy is spent on that one! When baby number 2 comes along.... trying to figure up how to divide your time is the hardest. While 1 child is in the tub...what do you do with the other 1.... things like that.

By the time number 3 comes around... you've already learned how to do that, so it wasn't as big a shock, to me anyway.

Congrats!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 8:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My boys are the same spacing as yours OP! The hardest part was balancing the needs of my newborn, while helping my almost 2 year old adjust to the idea of a new baby! However, my older son quickly became a sweet helper--he would get soft musical toys for his little brother, he would hand me diapers and burp cloths, he hummed lullibies with me, and waited very patiently for "his turn!"

The key is using your older child as an age appropriate helper, and making sure you devote some one on one time with him/her when the baby is sleeping. As tired as you will be, the one on one time can simply be reading a book together, playing quietly, or watching a favorite kid show/movie together.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My kids are 15 mos apart. Now, they're 17 and 16 yrs old. The hardest part, we did so many developmental stages "in stereo". The easiest part - we did so many developmental stages "in stereo".

Seriously, there are days that having them close together is going to be really hard, but then again, there are going to be days where it's great. Just be careful to not fall into the trap of holding the older one back until the younger one "is old enough to do it, too", or pushing the younger one to do it when the older one is able to, just because it's convenient to do it at the same time. Encourage them to be friends, but still let them be their own people separate from each other - no comparing them to their sibling, etc, kwim?

My mom did that with me and my sis, and we didn't become friends until we were adults. I didn't do that with my kids, and they get along great and are good friends.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:37 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My kids are 28 months apart. The hardest thing for me was getting the hang of taking care of 2 little ones 24/7. That was a huge adjustment. Once you fall into a routine things get a lot easier. My daughter is now 4 months old and we've got a routine going that works great for us! It was also hard to explain to my son why he couldn't have everything right now like he was used to. The easiest part would be play time. After breakfast, I put my little girl in her swing or bouncer to play and my and my son will play cars or what ever for a little bit. Story time is also an easy part. Both of them love looking at the pictures and it's so cute.

1 more thing, at 1st a lot of things seemed impossible to do (going to the store, park, DS's therapies, etc.) but I found ways to make it easier. You will, too. It just takes some getting used to. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My daughters are 2 yrs and 5 months apart the good part is they are starting to play well together and entertain each other while I clean the hard part about going from 1 to 2 children is having to adjust to having to keep up with both of them. its not easy having to keep an eye on a 3 yr old and a baby its lots of work.
    TikkiNippets

Answer by TikkiNippets at 9:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I have 4
    I think adjusting to having the 1st is the hardest by far. Everything is new and you might not know alot just yet.
    Going from 1-2 was fine, mine are 17 mo apart. At this age there is little jealousy (none really in my case) and you are already in baby-mode so the little things are easier! Plus, you are already tired and busy anyway so it doesnt seem so bad!
    Going from 2-3 was really really easy, and 3-4 was super easy! It just seems to get easier and easier LoL!!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think with the 2nd your a lot smarter so things are a lot easier. If you include the 1st as a tiny goffer, get this get that, and she(he) doesn't feel neglected and still gets attention you'll be fine. It may be hectic at times, but they'll be good together as the baby grows. I think it's the not knowing with the first that's soooooo hard.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The hardest thing at first is the guilt. I felt really guilty like I was making my son grow up faster by having a new little sister around but he loved it he wanted to help me feed her and change her and give her baths and teach her how to play right lol. Another hard thing is that after i had her he regressed on potty training and binkys. And the other thing is trying to take them somewhere alone lol. My little boy would try to run off and i have this heavy carseat in my hands it was kinda crazy lol
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010