My cat won't eat her new food

My cat has to eat a certain food because she is prone to UTIs. The problem is that she won't eat it, I'm guessing because she doesn't liike it. She ate her food fine, until we switched it. Is there anything I can do to get her to eat it?

SherriPie

Asked by SherriPie at 7:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• Leave her be. She'll eat it when she gets hungry enough- either that or you can try to put a small amount of something like gravy or tuna juice on it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:07 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try wetting it w/ water or gravy, the wet releases more of the smell.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You can try mixing it into her old food, increasing the amount daily. 1 teaspoon of new to half cup of old, 1 teaspoons to less than a half cup, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try mixing it with her old food for a couple of days to give her what she likes but to get her used to the new food. You can also put warm water in it to make it like a wet food. Maybe that will change the taste a little where she'll like it. Also ask your vet if there is any other food that is similar that she can have that tastes better or if there is anything that can be mixed in it that will be safe for her.
    jessmom27

Answer by jessmom27 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• LOL.... aren't cats just silly. I have one that doesn't like one of the little kibblers in his dry food, so he tosses those on the floor... I would do the mixing it with her old and just changing the ratio...mine of course would throw the new out of the bowl. I really think that if you just feed her the new stuff, she will eventually eat it.... My two are really picky and hate when I change food on them, but they do eventually eat it.....

cat

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 8:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I promise you she will not starve herself to death before she eats the new food!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You can either mix the two foods together (old and new) until she starts eating the new food without problem or just leave only that food out. She will eventually eat it...a cat hunger strike will only last so long. Remember you are doing it for her health and it will be best for her once she gets on board.
    MamaMellie419

Answer by MamaMellie419 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2010