Do you make your own dog food?

I feed my chihuahua's Royal Canin dry dog food, but I make their "wet" food with lean ground turkey, brown rice, carrots, green beans and beef stock. I make up a big batch once a month and freeze it in small individual portions and I heat one up per day at dinner time. It's a treat for them more than anything, but I started doing this when the dog food scare happened a couple of years ago, when the melamine had tainted the food and dogs were dying.

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 8:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• No but I have read about it. There are so many healthy recipes out there, you can make a bunch & keep it frozen. It's so much bettter to feed your pets whole foods & it's so much cheaper to make your own than buying super expensive bulk dog food. I've read up on it for cats too. Both dogs & cats can really extend their life when eating a whole food diet.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• YES, I have a chihuahua too and I started making his food when he had eaten some of the tainted dog food even though I was buying premium food. I also do brown rice, turkey and veggies and freeze them in tiny ziploc bags, its costs like 4 bucks and lasts a month.
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 9:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I used to have a dog that had some kind of liver problem so I would take deer meat grind it up add rice, we got lots of those powdered eggs back then, green beans and cook it all together then grind it all up and put it into small containers freeze it and thne I would bring it out thaw it out and feed him he would of died otherwise. He was a small poodle though don't know about a large dog if I would of done it or not. It wouldn't cost hardly a thing and I could feed him all month long.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• wow to the first poster!!! But anyways, I don't yet but have really been thinking about it. I am a Vet Tech and just recently we had another food recall, all of the Iams. I would way rather make my dogs food then buy it but am not sure of what exactly to make and I have to big dogs (2 female Labs) and that would be a lot to make. I might start doing half dog food and half home made food. And just to add, my dogs are a HUGE part of our family!!
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 12:08 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• I do. I make meatballs for our indoor dog (pretty much the same ingredients as your dog food, but with lean ground beef and turkey mixed). I make a huge batch that keeps us for about 2 months, I freeze the meatballs and then just take a couple out every morning. She loves them. She was a rescue and for some reason would not eat dry dog food (or moistened dry dog food). So I started making her the meatballs and then mixing them into her dog food. Our outside dog gets regular dog food and our leftovers from dinner.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Seriously? I definately don't have time to make my American Bulldog food, course she's a garbage disposal so she'll eat anything! I'm not a pet owner who treats my animal like a person, its a dog.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:23 AM on Aug. 6, 2010