How does the homosexual movement threaten religious freedom?

How does demanding equality stomp on any ones religious freedom? Does their existence make you question your faith?

Asked by older at 8:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Everything older said. She takes the words right from my brain!
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:54 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• I think it's rather funny and sad at the same time ... the religious right doesn't want their freedom of religion taken away but they have absolutely NO PROBLEM in demanding that other's rights be removed if it disagrees with what they believe in. 

You know what I don't understand about it ... marriage is truly a government issue. You HAVE to get a marriage license from your county for it to be legal. You DO NOT NEED A PREACHER OR A CHURCH to get married!

Why can't they just keep their judgmental noses out of other people's (same sex marriage) lives and mind their own business? 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Whatever hot-mama. Join the others and blow right past the heart of the matter. Gay people had an opportunity for rights they seek. The only way they are going to get the acceptance they are demanding is if we toss the first amendment.

How is that? What in the first amendment even suggests this is not OK. Here you go please oh please point that out, Because if it is there I must be illiterate.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not only does it NOT Threaten Religious Freedom, it UPHOLDS it!

MY religion does NOT dictate that marriage is between a man & a woman. So to deny someone the right to live by their religious beliefs and marry whom they choose in accordance with those beliefs is the threat to religious freedom, not giving someone the freedom to follow their beliefs!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• "I don't understand why people think me being against gay marriage makes me against equality."

Let me clear it up for you. Gay marriage = equality. Therefore, if you oppose one, you oppose them both. Seperate is not equal.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 12:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It doesn't. Religion has no place attempting to dictate legislation. Separation of church and state.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:33 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Just like today. No church can be forced to marry a couple. Just like today different denominations go to differt churches to get married. If that is the only thing any one can come up with, it is false. No one should be able to stop someone from having the basic right to marry whom they want. It is a civil right. Gays relationships and children are hurt by this.

DebbieA

Answer by DebbieA at 8:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It doesn't. Religious freedom means having the freedom from being oppressed by religion, as well as which religion you choose to practice.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• well, seeing as it is now a punishable crime to lynch them.... well, I can see why the church would be upset! Can't have pastor Billy Bob in jail!

NannyB- where exactly, does it explicitly state, beyond ANY level of interpretation that homosexuality is a "Sin"... I've read the text several times over, and I have yet to find ANY passage that explicitly states that it is in fact a sin.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination" (Leviticus 18:22).

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13).

"There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel" (Deuteronomy 23:17).

This should get obbey started. She should also consider the many many scriptures against fornication, lust, adultery...of course these also include heterosexuals.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010