Gaming addiction?

My son who is 16 is addicted to gaming. When I took away his PS3 for actually peeing in a multiple bottles so he wouldn't have to leave the room, he snuck out to an arcade. I asked him where he got the money and he had sold some of his clothes and cd's to friends. I gave the system back with limits but he goes to friends houses to play. If I restrict him to the house he will go anyway. I can't watch him all the time. School starts soon and I'm afraid this gaming habit is going to affect his grades. If I limit the games he sneaks out. If I let it be he is on it all the time not even taking potty breaks. It's scary! What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would be looking for professional help. In the meantime, I would take away everything I had provided for him except a couple of changes of clothes and a mattress on the floor plus meals. I would require that he get a part time job and contribute to the household expenses. I would have him sitting down with me when I paid the bills and balanced the check-book. Somehow your son has gotten the idea that all of life is about fun and games and doing whatever he feels like doing. He needs a bit of an introduction to what goes on in the real world where people have to work and pay for the things they have and get to do. I would also look into getting an alarm system that would go off when he tried to leave the house. This is serious and requires stern measures.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• When we took away the PS2 from my 17 year old, it was like watching a heroin addict going through withdrawal. My sons plays guitar hero and rock band... I'm ready to throw those flippin drumstick out the door. You take them away, then they go to a friends to play. For some reason they think there is nothing else to do. I keep trying to tell him that he needs to get a job and grow up. I told him that next year he'll be eighteen and his dad doesn't have to support him anymore.... it is college on his dime, a full time job or the military, but he won't be sitting in the basement playing video games... I wish I could help you but I'm there too, well not quite...but close. I do have this to say, my son does cut the grass and takes the garbage out. He doesn't go out and get into trouble. I think he could be doing worse things at his age....his friends that play with him are goods kids too.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:02 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I wish I could help but video games were never an issue with my sons (ages 18, 20, 22 and 24). We have always had 2-3 game systems in the house but my sons were always too busy & active to veg indoors w/Pee Wee football and friends from age 9 until they started middle school, sports for all from 7th-12th grades, drama for 1 from 7th-12th, choir for another from 10th-12th, work when they were in the 11th and 12th grades, volunteering from 9th-12th grades, etc.. We encouraged them to go out 2 Friday or Saturdays a month, we did family activities 2 Friday or Saturdays a month & Sundays were always family days, etc.. Get you son active, encourage him to get a weekend job, to volunteer, to join a school activity and move the game system in to the living room. If the game system is in a common area he won't shut himself from the family. Here the TV, computers & game systems stayed in the living room, bedrooms were for sleeping.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Also, if he's sneakingg out it might be time for an alarm system so that you can keep him inside. Sneaking out is a serious problem and that needs to be addressed more than the game addiction.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's kind of late to be changing his lifestyle now. These habits are developed in young children and by the time they reach their early teens, they pretty much are who they are. Sorry, mama!
    abra

Answer by abra at 3:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• He didn't even have a real game system until this one. He has a PS1 but it was not replaces until last Christmas when he used his gift cards and and money to buy it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Get him in to therapy quick
    annie610

Answer by annie610 at 8:00 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree with the others I'd look into professional help. It would be hard to take it away since he bought it himself that makes it a tough position for you. If he's peeing in bottles stop buying stuff in bottles hopefully he would hesitate to pee in a glass. I would insist that he eat with the family I wouldn't take him food or allow him to eat in that room. He needs to learn how to self regulate and how to manage his own time.
    Aemelia

Answer by Aemelia at 12:45 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• LOL! My son peed in a bottle once...because of a game he was playing. I used the most powerful of tool that I have in the house. I told everyone in the house what he had done. He took our water jug out of the fridge, emptied it, and peed in it! Well, we all had a very good time making fun of him for doing something so gross! Our water jug in the fridge now has writing on it that say...Tommy do not pee in me! He was soooooo embarassed when we called him out on his "weird" way of video gaming and urinating in the water jug, that he hasnt done it again!
    He has a Xbo360 live and can get really caught up in it. He is the only boy in a house full of teenage girls and he does not want their friends to know about what he did. I doubt it will happen again! I didnt even need to punish him.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:53 AM on Aug. 8, 2010

• wow
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 9, 2010