Does Direct Sales or self employed have to pay SS Tax?

If so how do you pay them or send them into the corrupt system? Besides a pastor can anyone else opt out of SS? I personally am against it for religous reasons but have paid into since I started working at 16:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• What kind of religious reasons make you againist SS?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you are self employed, you have to pay the SS yourself. I would think direct sales would be the same.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't think I have ever heard of "religious objection" to Social Security... really?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Self-employed people do need to pay Social Security Taxes because it starts accumulating the necessary credits you will need to be eligible for Medicare and Social Security Benefits. And the more you pay in, the more you get out at the end. Paying also affects how much disability payments you get, if you ever go in disability and determines how much your spouse might get as well as any kids you have if you die young. Yeah, I worked there. :P

But what religion is against Social Security?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:13 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• YES, you can refuse SS, people. Not everyone agrees with it. If you have the number you pretty much have no choice but to pay into it. ANYONE can use a religious exemption and they have no right to ask you your religious beliefs or religious affiliation according to the Supreme Court. If you want to save your kids from having to do this just don't get it for them. You lose tax refunds and such but you still have to pay into taxes.It makes getting a job and going to college a bit harder, as well.
    Pishyah

Answer by Pishyah at 9:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If you are the sole proprietor, and have no employees, I'm pretty sure you don't pay ss. Contact a CPA.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• As a business owner you will pay SS based on your net profit on your tax return. Just like with any tax if you show no profit or a loss you will not pay SS tax.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 10:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes, both direct sales and the self employeed have to pay taxes. You'll have to fill out the schedule for self employment (I can't remember which one it is off hand) when you do your federal taxes. You also are required to pay state and local taxes as well.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You need to make quarterly tax estimates, in order to avoid interest and penalties. Make an appointment with your local IRS office for guidance.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yes, if you earn over $600 you will get a 1099 to report your income, don't forget you have many tax benefits to claim
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 5:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010