Cereal...

I have a family member who is giving her 5 week old baby cereal by the spoon. I asked her how much the doctor said to give and she said the doctor didnt tell her to give him cereal she just wanted to see if he could eat with a spoon. She is now giving it to him everday. she acts proud of him like he is a genius for being able to lick the spoon and says he will be on baby food before you know it. I am concerned about this!! has anyone else given cereal this early? He can't hold his head up yet..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's too early...we started dd at 2 months, just a little in the bottle to keep her more full, and not go over the amount of formula each day, since her doc then called her fat (literally) every time she went. baby food, is not supposed to be given until i think 5 months or so..and cereal at 4 months. i don't know side effects of too early with cereal, but they can have reactions to baby food, not only when they're supposed to start on it, but now too.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• um...yeah...that seems really early. My son started eating it at 2 1/2 months, but he was such a big boy. I'm really tall - 6' and he was just a bigger baby, too. Not fat or anything...just bigger than most - "tall" When we gave it to him the first time he went CRAZY for it like he was starving...but I think 5 weeks is too early. Hopefully she's not giving him a lot. I don't know if it would necessarily hurt him. ?
    crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 9:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• People do it, but it is no longer advised. He can't physically digest it, she's just making poop and likely constipation/gas/bloating and giving him far less calories because he is full up on something taking up space instead of milk. It's why they invented formula, since babies fed purees only died in foundling homes -- simply because they get no nutrition from solid foods, All babies can lick a spoon and swallow a food pureed into oblivion. It's not rocket science. :) She's just bypassing all of his failsafes against eating anything other than milk that nature designed. It's an old wive's tale that is still circulating that babies need to get "used to spoons".

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:26 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No way! It's too early...4-5 months before I would attempt cereal.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Wow that seems a bit much . People told me i was crazy for giving my son ceral at 2 months but I add it with his formula and his doc suggested it .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 9:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Print out some info on delaying solids and ask her if she has seen this "new: research by doctors that shows how much better it is to delay food.. Maybe that will help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• WAY too early. This is a choking and SIDS risk.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My friend started giving her kids gerber and cereal to all of her kids at 1 month lol. I guess to each their own, her kids are not overweight either.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010