Good excuse to give for not attending a birthday party?

Hi, I need a good excuse to not attend a birthday party. My 6 year old daughter and I went out to dinner with her best friend (who turned 6) and we gave a gift. This Sunday is her birthday party and although I RSVPd yes, we decided we instead wanted to go away and would therefore miss the party. I don't want to offend the mom, but since we already celebrated her real birthday...anyway, you get the point. =)

LilysMom0604

Asked by LilysMom0604 at 9:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just call and tell her you have to cancel. She doesn't have to know why... she probably won't even ask. If she does just say, "I'm sorry, something came up."
    Since you went out to dinner for her real birthday I'm sure the mom will understand. I would. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:29 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You said you're going away. Why not just simply say "I'm sorry but we'll be out of town." ??
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:30 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The truth works for me. If you lie and go away the daughter might end up telling about going away and that will hurt the person you lied to.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The truth will set you free. Why try and lie?
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Tell her you forgot you made previous plans to go out of town and apologize. You already gave her a gift so it's no big deal.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• just tell the truth - it's not that big of deal.

why do people feel the need to lie about little things?
    MommyToEthan

Answer by MommyToEthan at 9:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try: I am sorry to do this to you, but something has come up and we won't be able to come after all. We hope she has a great party.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Lying will always come back to bite you in the butt. The truth is best. But, I think it was wrong to make plans to go out of town knowing you'd already RSVPed for the party. How does your DD feel about it? Just because you went to dinner and gave her a gift, it doesn't replace a fun party with friends for a 6 year old litte girl...guest or birthday child. If I was 6, I'd be disappointed.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:04 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Go with the truth. You can say you're sorry you have to cancel, but you got the opportunity to take a trip which you didn't think you should pass up, especially with school starting soon.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:06 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Truth sounds good to me. Family time is important and I am sure this mother will understand, especially since you have already had a chance ti celebrate with the birthday child!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010