Activities for my 2 1/2 year old...

I recently shut off out Direct TV. I felt like my son was watching WAY too much TV, and I was becoming way too reliant on it. It started at the beginning of this year, while I was prego with my second. Whenever I was just really tired, or needed a nap, I'd turn it on. Well, it just got more frequent as the months went on, and def didn't get any better after my new LO was born. With having my husband deployed, having to recover from a c/s, and having to take care of a newborn and a 2 year old... I didn' know what else to do but turn on the TV. I finally got fed up with it, because I feel like him watching endless shows, no matter how much educational value, would do more harm than good. But now, I'm at a loss... well, when it comes to indoor activities. Right now he's not really into anything, because he's busy asking me to turn the TV on every 5 minutes, and then crying when I tell him no. Suggestions please!

JDanesMommy

Asked by JDanesMommy at 12:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well we did the same thing with our kids I only use dvds or something that has a definite end that way they know it is over. It took my now 3 yr old a while to get use to it, and boy it tell you what, it sucked he cry and screamed and well I ignored it I went into another room and waited it out. lol I would try tools, the big legos and I have my lil ones help me clean. If they do there chores then well they can watch 5 min or play with a real messy toy. lol
    welchv84

Answer by welchv84 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• We are big play-dough fans! My kids got a play-dough kit for Christmas and they will sit at the table for hours if I let them creating things. The only thing is little pieces of play-dough everywhere and they mix the colors together :) But when I see how much fun they are having I don't really care about the mess anyway.
    happymommy284

Answer by happymommy284 at 3:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• My 2 1/2 year old daughter likes to look at pictures, "read" books and magazines (especially catalogs - she picks out things she wants and tells me about them), she's into drawing pictures and "writing" stories and when she scribbles out a story I tell her to read it to me and she can go on for awhile even if half of it doesn't make sense and is filled with her stopping to make funny faces. She likes to help with cleaning, laundry, and preparing lunch and dinner. Her all time favorite thing is to dance. If I so much as walk past the stereo she'll tell me she wants music on and then she'll dance and sing for as long as I keep the music on.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 6:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• you should started a cloroing time...or read a book ...our is 3 now and he loves to sit and read with one of us...he enjoys just about anything we do....
    amrb

Answer by amrb at 6:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. Like, you I replied (still do) on the TV and movies. But to be honest he is fine without it too. He LOVES to play with his toy cars and can entertain himself pretty well. I also have bags of toys put away for special times.... like his duplos and blocks. We also play in the kitchen cubboard as well. He even likes to play on the computer because he sees mommy doing it. He also likes to take baths. He like to color as well. oh yeah... music is good too! Oh we haven't done playdo yet, but I plan on making my own playdo for him.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• First, please don't feel like you need to defend what you were doing. Oh my goodness! ((HUGS)) BTDT. I was 8 months pg when my husband deployed and we had 2 toddlers. I felt no shame in turning on the tube so I could get a nap.

We do limit the TV now though. I have my days where I know they watch far too much though too. I admire you for getting rid of it all together. I don't think I could do it, lol I like MY shows too much ;) All that said, check out the Fisher Price website. They do monthly emails and have pages full of indoor activities. Check out some local museums, libraries and bookstores for story book times and activities. Make cleaning and laundry into a game - get your toddler started helping early. My 2 yr old knows how to help empty the dishwasher and knows where everything goes more than my older kids :)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Wow... you have you hands tied. Well I was the same way. When I was on bed rest with my second child I let my son watch tv all day every day just as long as he was out of my hair. And now that's all he do is watch tv but me and DH take the tv out of his room every other week and he does a lesson. Teach him educational things, let him glue differnt objects on paper. Let him paint different modelings.
    moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 11:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

moviestartaal

Answer by moviestartaal at 11:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Well I've been letting him watch a sesame street dvd and a clifford dvd in the mornings.. the mornings are the hardest, lol. I was so used to him coming to my room, and without even opening my eyes sometimes, I'd just turn the TV to Noggin. So, I've been having to force myself to get out of bed as soon as he gets up, because he won't lay back down with me to sleep a little more. I just rotated his toy box, and he's into all of his toys that he hasn't seen in a while. We made a Welcome Home poster for DH today... he really enjoyed that. It was the first time I let him freely use markers. He's been paying a lot more attention to his sister, like talking to her and trying to share his toys with her. He's also back in to wanting to read throughout the day. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I made a great choice ;)
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 5:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2008