4 month old sleep questions

Does any one else have a hard time getting a 4 month old to sleep my dd fights her sleep all the time and she only takes about 2 or 3 20 min naps a day so by night time she's so exhausted and she fights it and nothing works.... please tell me I'm not the only one who goes through this .....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No hun your not the only one my son is now almost 6 months and he dose the same. He takes a couple 20 or 30 min naps, by night he's tired and we fight at bed time . I always try and make sure he's full right before bed , and he sometimes has to cry it out a lil bit then he will realize he's sleepy. Have you started adding ceral to her breat milk or formula yet that may help her. Just like adults when your tired and full you'll go to bed a lil easier . Dont worry it will get easier the older they are.
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 9:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Do you hold her? Or do you use a baby contraption?

If she is close to you, she'll fall asleep easier. Try a sling or wrap, I guarantee she'll be a lot happier, and so will you- and you'll have your hands free!!

WHAT is wrong with you people? Cereal in bottles to make babies sleep?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No missy not to make my son sleep the doc suggested that if he wasn't hungry before bed then he wouldn't wake up 3 to four times a night .
    waitin4u

Answer by waitin4u at 9:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My son was an amazing sleeper till I put him (recently) in his crib in the other room. He is 7 months (and just wont fit in the basinett anymore) so I had to put him in there, I do think if you are close to your baby they sleep better, he was sleeping from 2 1/2 months+ about 8-9hours, and I ONLY breastfed till recently... now I am breastfeeding and alittle bit of baby food.... If sleeping in the same room isn't an option, try putting a t-shirt or something that smells like you where she sleeps.. That might work as well! Good luck
    sweetbeb05

Answer by sweetbeb05 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Stop fighting. Contrary to popular belief narly all babies will sleep when tired if they aren't push or forced onto a schedule if they aren't ready to sleep. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we clock watch.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:59 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I wear my baby in a mei tai when I do chores and if she's tired she falls asleep. If she's playing she come to me rubbing her eyes and still does her special I'm tired cry. I help her get settled to sleep with nursing. If she gets a "2nd wiind" I don't force it, we try again in a little while. Some days she naps 2 or 3 times, sometimes none. sometimes for 1-3 hours, some times cat naps 15-30 minutes. We cosleep so she has a special whine when she wants bed for the night. She's 10 months but has done this since around 2-3 months. I don't clock watch.

They don't need the exact sme amount of sleep at the exact same time day in and day out. Work with a baby's cues. sometimes, just like us, before a new job or holiday mornings or new book, they are to full of anticipation to sleep even if tired when they learn new skills. just wait it out. don't make it a battle, you can make it worse.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010