What would you do?

When we first rented this house, our landlord was straight forward in saying that he would have lost the house if we hadn't moved in that month. He was living here with is fiance, and they broke up and he could no longer afford it, and he couldn't pay the morgage. That being said when we noticed that the shower was leaking (or something in the bathroom) we called him to fix it. He brought his 80 year old dad that was overweight (the guy looked 80 at least) to reseal the shower. Didn't fix it. So, we just stopped using it and decided to wait on it (we have a bath). Well, he told us he couldn't sign our lease this Oct and so we found another house. He comes back today and said that the reason he couldn't get us a new lease was because they were upping his mortgage and he couldn't ask us to pay that much, but he got them to come down a lot, so was wondering if we found a new house. CONT

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you are just waiting for better housing on the base, it might be worth it to stay where you are if you can. Moving is a big hassle and I would pick to avoid an extra one if possible. But, I may not be the person to ask...we've still got at least half of our stuff in boxes while we rennovate our "new" 100 year old house.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Personally, I would move. Your landlord is having significant financial issues, so more than likely it will only be a matter of time before he is foreclosed on. Rather than get caught short & trying to find a new place at the last minute, I would just move now.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:58 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Move. You can't solve his problems, and you need a place to live with functioning amenities. Now, the shower's broken and he can't afford to fix it. What happens when the roof leaks and he can't afford to fix it? How about when the stove dies?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You're not responsible for his financial problems. If you are paying him rent, you deserve to have things in proper working order. I agree that it's sad - but you didn't put him in this position.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• This is the thing....If he fails to pay the mortgage and the house gets foreclosed...you will not have a place to live. I mean, I am assuming you pay him rent and then he pays the mortgage... you trust this man, who won't fix the tub, to honestly take your money and pay his loan. What happens when some other financial crisis in his life takes precedence and he doesn't pay the mortgage. Do not take that risk....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would call a plumber see what the problem really is, get an estimate on the cost to fix it. If it's not a tremedous amount, I would talk to the landlord and say that you will pay to fix it yourself then deduct that amount off of the rent for that month. Get it all in writing & make him sign the agreement.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Honestly, if it were me, I would go ahead and move. If he does not have the money to maintain the property, then it is only a matter of time before more things break that he cannot afford to fix.
    Another option you may consider, is if he is truly only renting to you to pay the mortgage, and can't afford upkeep, talk to him and see if he would be willing to do a rent to own agreement. Get legal paperwork drawn up, so that you pay the mortgage directly, and take care of all repairs, but then you do it because when the mortgage is paid the house is yours!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree that you're taking a gamble by staying there. He says he got the payment lowered, but what if he didn't? What if he forecloses & you're left with having to move with no notice!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Well, I told him that I would speak to my Dh about it. Dh says that he'd prefer live here, cuz the house we found was one less bedroom. Then Dh tells me that he would only live here if the landlord fixes the bathroom properly. Well, I know the guy has no money to fix it... So, I told Dh that if he was going to set that limit... there is no reason to even ask.. we can just move out.. rather then put the poor guy in that position. Pretty much the month we move out, he's going to lose the house anyway.. it's just a matter of when :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• More information: We're living overseas right now, my Dh is military and we'll only be here for two more years. Owning this house would not be an option and we plan on moving on base in less than a year anyway, that way we can ship our car back to the states early and just walk to work and the store. We fell in love with this house before we even moved here and not using the shower hasn't been that big of a deal. We still have one and a half bathes left. If we move, all our furniture would not fit into the other house because it's a lot smaller.
    It would really just be saving us a move if we stay here until the "good" on base housing opens up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2010