What is this iron level compared to normal?

I always have had heavy periods so i just started taking the flintstone vitamin with iron in it
my doctor called me today and told me that my hem iron level was 13.49 and the iron was 106..
106 sounds a bit high should I continue on with the vitamins? im feeling a lot better then before but dont want to over-do the iron

Alexis82

Asked by Alexis82 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Health

• a flintstone vitamin for kids? Don't think you could overdose on that. Mine was 116 when I had my GD test when I was pregnant, and I think women are supposed to have low iron when they're pregnant, I think he's saying you're anemic.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:08 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Never heard of a seperate iron number - at our doctors office they just tell the basic hemoglobin number and over 13 is excellent - mine's usually around 11-11.5 and they say that's decent for me.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Your iron levels are right around normal. Are they normally lower than that, and that's why you started an iron supplement? It is possible to over-do the iron even with kids vitamins since iron can be found in lots of things; especially if you aren't balancing it with B-vits and folic acid. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-lifestyle-guide/vitamins-minerals-how-much-should-you-take  The Flintstones with Iron have 15 mg of iron in them, which is almost a full day's worth right there, average RDA for a woman 19-50 being 18 mg.  The most iron you can have in a day (not pregnant or nursing) is 45 mg, then you get into the dangerous levels, risk of iron poisoning etc.

preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• it has 18mg of iron btw
    Alexis82

Comment by Alexis82 (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010