affordable twin bed? or should i just go with rails?

my almost-3 year old currently sleeps in a toddler bed (converted from a crib) but he's 90th percentile in height and weight and he really could use some more room. also we have a 3 month old sleeping in a bassinet and it would be good to give him the crib.

my mom has an extra twin mattress and box springs! yay :) i can find twin bed rails for $50 but i would really like to have the whole bed! i can find twin beds for $150 on target's website. is there a cheaper option? we don't have much money because we are also moving into a 3 bedroom in 3 weeks so the move will cost a lot.

i'm wanting this to be his 3rd bday present from me in a few weeks :) my husband wants to get him some kind of superhero like spiderman. lol. who thinks daddy will be the favorite on his birthday when mommy gives a bed and daddy gives a spiderman?? lol. just kidding we'll say they're both from both of us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try a consignment store....
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• goodwill has things like that at times as does Craigslist. My son for a long time had a box spring and mattress on the floor. He loved it! When he was 4 we got him aloft bed.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:00 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• y not take the mattress and box spring for now and buy the rails. after u can afford it or save for it buy him the new bed as a gift.
    LotusBlossom21

Answer by LotusBlossom21 at 10:02 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• If it were me, I would check the local newspaper, and see if someone had a good used one for sale. Also, try Goodwill or Craigslist. Maybe even Freecycle in your area!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Here's what *I* would do, considering you have another child who will need a bigger bed in the future too - I got bunk beds at Wal-Mart (ordered online, did the site-to-store for free shipping) that can come apart - meaning they can be together as bunks or 2 seperate twin beds. Just a hair over $200 with tax. So for now, in this house, my 2 youngest share a room with bunks, but hopefully in a year we'll get a bigger house and they'll have their own rooms but still have nice seperate twin beds.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• you could do a bed frame and make a cool headboard with fabric that he likes, Maybe even Spiderman? :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would say just let him sleep on the mattress and box springs on the floor that way if he falls out of bed he will have a shorter fall and get the bed later when you have more cash
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 6, 2010