HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY???

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING MY OWN CAKE DECORATING BUSINESS AND I AM JUST WONDERING.... IF YOU SAW MY FLYER AND CALLED TO HAVE ME MAKE YOU CHILDS B-DAY CAKE HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR IT??

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2008 in Just for Fun

• well id have to see how good you are but the most i have payed for a cake for my kids is $50 sorry i was not more help
    lovingmomof7

Answer by lovingmomof7 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• Probably $30. I would compare your prices to places like Wal-Mart and local bakeries because I'm not sure you'd be able to get much more than what they charge...unless you were doing wedding cakes or something.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I agree with the PP...I used to go to a specialty cake place, but then when I realized wal-mart or the local grocery store did just as good a job, I started going there because they were cheaper. However, if you're doing more elaborate bday cakes, like castles or different shapes...something that a local bakery won't do, then I'd be willing to pay more. But the most I would usually pay for a cake is $50.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 3:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I think it would depend on how good your cakes are, but I would pay up to about $50 for a good cake. The cake's at bakery's taste like card board to me so I've been making home made cakes for the last few years.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It would have to be something unusual that I can't find anywhere else but not more than $40 or $50 but even then it would have to be exceptional!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• It would largely depend on your cake quality, how artful the designs were... There was a lady at my old job that was AMAZING. Everything from scratch (no betty crocker) the cakes were heavenly in taste, but the decoration put them over the top. She made my husbands groom cake and topped it with strawberries she dipped in white and brown chocolate - they looked like they were in tuxedos and wedding dresses! Simply amazing. When you're getting started I would stay conservative - take pictures of what you make, build your "portfolio" so to speak. Experiment with decorating and toppings, you can charge more as you gain popularity.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 5:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• I guess it depends on how good you make your cakes!! You should check out the prices of your competitors...and go from there!! Always try to be less then them by at least $5! Hope I was some help! :) Good luck on your business!!
    se_wifenmom_xy

Answer by se_wifenmom_xy at 6:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• 30-40
    iloveprater

Answer by iloveprater at 6:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

• For me, it would be all about the quality of the cake. I can decorate a cake myself, so i only buy them if they are very high quality, delicious, and well done. I paid $80 for my husband birthday cake, made into an old fashioned movie camera...and it was worth every penny. It served 30, though!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 8:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2008