Question for those who keep freshwater fish??

My dd has a small 2.5 gallon tank. She has a Tetra,snail and a sucker fish and an aquatic frog. I am wondering how many fish is too many fish in a tank? Would it be over crowded to get her tetra a friend (another tetra)?
What do you think?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 10:05 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pets

• The general rule is 1" of fish per gallon of water. So you could put in a few tiny fish (like Neons), or 2 fish that are each 1" long, or one fish that is 2" long ...
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 10:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• 2.5 gallon is too small for all those fish. I have a 2.5 & i was told to only put one fish in there, although i did throw in a large mystery snail to eat the algae. I would upgrade to a 5 gallon thank. Too many fish in a small aquarium is not good. The fish food & fish droppings would poison the fish a lot quicker in a small tank. You would have to change the water all the time in order to keep them healthy.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:09 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You already have too many creatures in the tank. Sorry :(

It becomes oxygen depleted, toxicity levels rise, its not a healthy environment. if they are doing OK, then leave it at that, but don't add any new ones.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I was told 1 inch of fish for 1 gallon of water. Meaning if you have a fish 3 inches long, you would need a 3 gallon tank. Does that make sense?
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:11 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think its one fish per gallon of water
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 10:12 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Thanks:)
    Side question here~Does it improve the situation any that we do have a pump/filter in the tank?
    One of the reasons we go snail and sucker fish was to help clean up. We have not had any problems keeping the tank clean at all. What do ya think?
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• A filter will improve your tank immensely. Its easier to keep clean, the fish enjoy the clean water better and there won't be any build up of icky toxins.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 4:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010