excited and capable dads?

Is it natural for new dads to not be all that excited? Im a bit puzzled as well, i mean he is telling me he wants a kid for awhile but, ive gotten no positive response from him since we found out. Im also wandering if he is going to be able to handle being a dad. I mean i have a 3 year old brother and he is so adorable dont get me wrong but, my husband just cant seem to handle him. Any opinions as to whether he's going to be able to handle it or not?

williams81209

Asked by williams81209 at 10:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, only time will tell. My Dh and I tried for a month, then decided we had better wait a few more years... then we found out I was already pregnant. It was a lot to chew for him and in all honesty, he had never been around babies at all... so when she was first born, he was really no help. It didn't help that he starting going to college full time (and working full time) about two weeks before she was born. He's a great dad now though and I bet with number 2 now that he has more experience, he'll be helpful :P She's over a year old and he comes home and is so excited to see her and her him that they spend at least a half hour playing before I can get him to sit down for dinner!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 10:35 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• He might just be in kind of a shock mode now. For my DH it didn't really hit him until he saw the ultra sound. You have to remember we feel it all they feel nothing . our bodies are changing theirs is not.
    As far as handling it it is totally different when it is your own child. I am sure he will be fine. He may be a little scared at first thinking he might drop or "break" the baby but with time he will become confident. Just be patient with him
    My DH is a big tough guy. I never thought I would ever see him cry. When our son was born he cried more than I did.....lol
    Given the chance most men will surprise you as to how well they are at being a Daddy
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My husband wasn't home & in the Marines when out 1st was born & he was still good. The 2nd he was home and was glad but didn't like me being pregnant, but was a great Dad. He told me he just wasn't use to me w/all that weight. Then w/the 3rd the same couldn't take the weight thing, but ag he's a great Dad. So I'd not worry, he'll probaby be great, wait until he sees that tiny little baby that's a part of Him as well as YOU and he'll fall in love so fast his head will be spinning. Good Luck to both or all 3 of you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My DH was not excited about the pregnancies but when the babies got here it was a different story. He changed the first poopy diaper of our parenthood and it was a bad one. He has never been afraid of diaper changing, feeding, bathing, or playing with them. I hope yours turns out to be a wonderful dad.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not sure. My husband loves kids more than I do, so I don't really know what's normal for most men.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 6, 2010