Kodak Printers?

I have to replace my 5300 Kodak printer - it's always given me problems, but I think it's simply because it's an early model. I'd like to stick with the Kodak family because the picture quality & ink prices can't be beat. Do you have one that you can recommend? Or is there any I should avoid? Thx!!

MyLittleMunchie

Asked by MyLittleMunchie at 10:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• we also have the ESP3250... The ink is cheap but here are some issues I have with the printer.

1. You can't use all of the ink. Once the printer thinks the cartridge is out it won't print - even if the color is out and you want to print black or vice versa. We had a lexmark before this printer and I could easily print 25-50 more pages once it said we were out of ink, so I have to wonder how much I am loosing with each cartridge.

2. It won't recognize all colors of paper. We print for girl scouts, homeschool, home business and more. I like to use a variety of colored papers and the printer won't recognize blue, red, purple or green in the primary colors multipack.

3. Scanner software keeps uninstalling itself, or something. We've reinstalled it several times. The copier works fine, but the scanner keeps throwing fits.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:45 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• we have the kodak ESP 3250. I like it so far. had it about 6 months. I agree the picture quality is awesome and the ink prices cannot be beat. This is our 2nd kodak printer. I really think I would buy another after this one.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• it was the first model the one that cost about $90.00 at walmart. (ESP#, I think) Our "good" printer had just died and I wasn't prepared to spend a lot of $$ at the time. So we went cheap and were very happy with it. Had it almost 2 years. I am not sure if the printhead went or if my son (6 y.o. at the time) tried to "fix it" or look inside of it with the help of a screw driver daddy forgot to put away.........
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• @justgrape723 - Thx for the recommendation, going to check into that one now. Which Kodak printer did you have before & why did you have to replace? I've had my 5300 for about a year & have had several issues with the printhead - (the tray that holds the ink cartridges). In total I've had it replaced 3 times & had the whole printer replaced once. Now that I'm having issues with it again I think it's best to chuck it & start over.
    MyLittleMunchie

Comment by MyLittleMunchie (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• @justgrape723 - LOL!! That was too funny! However it broke, I'd still say that you lucked out with a 2yr life span - I'm seeing a lot of reviews that complain of problems within the first week.

@scout_mom - Thanks so much for breaking down some of the issues you had. The 5300 also doesn't use all the ink, but I think I've gotten more prints out of the kodak then I did with my old HP. I saw a lot of complaints about the print head when I researched the 3250 today - which is my usual problem with the 5300 so I don't think the ESP3250 is going to be for me....my search continues.

I'm really hoping the whole line of Kodak printers aren't all faulty - they have a good idea, just wish they'd take more time to perfect the product. Any more suggestions or complaints out there? I neeeeeeeeed help. ;)
    MyLittleMunchie

Comment by MyLittleMunchie (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not for me. I have had my HP 3-in-one for 10 years now and I love it. It reduces and enlarges from the keypad. And it will let me print a few more pages after the "inkjet needs to be changed" message. So I can override and get my money's worth from them. The cartridges ARE expensive (black is about $18 and the color about $22), but the print quality is good and I can refill them at my local WalGreens store for $10 and $15.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had my old HP printer for just about 10yrs too & loved it. The print quality was great & printing various size pages was so easy, The issues I had was that 1) I found that the color fades & gets funky once a printed picture aged a bit 2) the ink was just a rip. Buying a color & black cartridge would run me $54. Once I found out that Kodak ink never fades & the ink was dirt cheap - I was all over it.

Still haven't decided which Kodak to get yet. :o( I really don't want to get another HP. Thx everyone. Think I'll leave this ques. open a little longer.
    MyLittleMunchie

Comment by MyLittleMunchie (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Aug. 10, 2010