What types of things do you like to do as a family on the weekend

I only get every other weekend off. (I work in health care) I am looking for some ideas as to what we can do as a family. I am stuck in the same ole same ole rut. Please give me some great ideas. It would be me, DH and 7 y.o. son. What I can't do this weekend I might do on my next weekend off.
Back ground we live in upstate NY in the country 1 hour away from big city 30 min away from small city
please bump my question so I get lots of input thanks ladies !!!

justgrape723

Asked by justgrape723 at 10:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Entertainment

• Picnic in the yard
    picnic at the park
    movie night
    board game night
    bonfire
    go to the creek and wade around
    fly kites at the park
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 10:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We love to have people over and cookout. I bumped you, hope you get lots of good ideas! :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We like to have BBQ's, movie nights, bonfires, swim (we live on a lake), play volleyball or frisbee, do "build your own pizza" or "build your own ice cream sundae" nights, we work in the yard together in the mornings before it gets too hot. Usually the kids have a couple of friends over for all of these activities.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 10:46 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I usually take my kids swimming and have a picnic lunch. We like to go to rivers or lakes as it is free and they also get to catch fish and what not. My girls are 6 and 7. Unfortunately, I also work in healthcare but I work every Fri, Sat, and Sun night. DH works Mon - Fri so we don't ever get to go as a whole family.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Take a picnic lunch to a different park every weekend.

Hike a different trail.

Visit a different beach (year 'round --beaches are interesting in the winter, too)

Visit friends or family.

Do yard work or house projects.

Take all the sports equipment in the house to a park for the day.

Eat in a new restaurant.

Explore the downtown core --window shop, look in the galleries, visit museums, do the things the tourists do.

Attend festivals.

Take in sporting events, particularly kids' sports (because other kids tend to be around them, too.)

Rent a pile of movies and make a whole weekend of 'eating on the couch' food.

Take a pile of illustrated books out of the library and have a read-aloud weekend.

Make some kind of 'production' food --perogies, homemade pasta, bread, jam, cookies, canning, make-ahead meals, pies --whatever you'd like to h
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Movie and popcorn
    Picnic
    bonfires roasting hot dogs and marshmallows
    7 yr olds probably would love it if you would make a trip into the city for Monster Truck Shows, Demolation Derbies, Mud Drags or find some of them on TV like the Speed channel has them alot to watch if you can't go to any
    Fly a kite at a park with a picnic
    Museum if there are any around close
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 10:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We like to have a movie/game night and have friends over. We also go swimming and bike riding. Last weekend we did a lot of baking. We also went bowling and to the zoo. In a few weeks we are going camping!
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• watch cartoons, go swiming, cookouts or jsut go to the park
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 12:57 AM on Aug. 7, 2010