But WHY Mommy?!

What is your best "But WHY?" moment and response?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:32 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• "Eleven."

When my kids asked 'why' over and over and over again, I assumed they were either trying to get my attention (so I'd give it to them --I'm not interested in having a war with kids who are determined to lever my attention out of me no matter what it costs them, I like living in a house that's not currently burning down).

Now, just because I'd figured it was simpler to give them attention didn't mean I was willing to be rational or sensible... so my answers to questions were often like Calvin's dad's (from Calvin & Hobbes)... completely unrelated, imaginary, original, deranged.

"Because you got the mean mommy, that's why."
    "Why not?"
    "Because everything has to be somewhere, it's a law of physics."

Et cetera. I figured as long as I was having fun...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:43 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My crazy talking son asked me at 18months: "what does a judge do?" My response: "Why on earth do you have to have such a vocabulary? I don't even know how to begin to explain what they do...*sigh* Ok, when someone does something bad, the ploice bring them to the judge so he can decide if he gets time-out or a spanking and decides how many spankings or how long they will have to sit in time-out."
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:41 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I don't have any good ones yet, but my 4 yo has been on a "Why?" kick for the past 2 days. That's all I've heard!
    musicalbabe85

Answer by musicalbabe85 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• if I ask my 2yr old why she says "cuz!" its soo cute
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:44 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I misread or something..My response was off topic. LOL

I can't remember any actual "Why" moments. He is 14 now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Lol, I got pulled over by a cop the first day I had my new van because my tag light was out and I didn't realize it. :(

As I'm sitting there with the lights flashing I hear the gasp from the backseat as my oldest daughter says, "Mommy.... you were a BAD girl!" Lol, I told her "No, mommy didn't do anything wrong hunny, he just wanted to show you his pretty lights and ask mommy to see her beautiful baby girls!"
    My youngest, "But WHY mommy?!"
    Me, "Because, you are such beautiful girls EVERYONe knows about you and wants the chance to meet you at least ONCE!"
    My oldest, "Nah uh! Mommy was BAD! She's gunna go to jail!" (Too much COPS with nanny obviously...)
    *Look of fear* My youngest, "But momma! WHY? Whaa yoo doo?"
    "Nothing... momma isn't going to jail."
    Oldest, "Momma is too going to jail Jada!"

Yeah... that was one of the LONGEST 'But Why' moments of my life as the cop seemed to take 30 minutes to come to the car.:(
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2010