How do I wean my baby

He is 17 months old and not showing sines of stoping. He also pulls my shirt open and seas boo boo giggles and grabs them.

kristina1310

Asked by kristina1310 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, 2 is the recommended age to stop. And you can teach him nursing etiquette if you wanted to stop the pulling and yanking on your shirt.

Or you could drop one nursing session a day and replace it with a sippy of whole milk/pumped milk instead. And increase everyday until weaned.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• BradenlaMySon seems to have a good answer......
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:10 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My goal is to nurse till at least 2. The last child I weaned was 2 1/2yrs so the weaning process is a lot different than one used on a child so young as yours. Here is info on weaning http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/how_weaning_happens.html  and then here is a link on the benifits of extended breastfeeding http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-links.html

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• And if you decide not to wean and need support there is a cafemom group(Breastfeeding Toddlers/Preschoolers) you can find other like minded moms http://www.cafemom.com/group/5540

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 11:17 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You know I know it's so mean but I just let him cry it out... By that I mean I change him to sippy cup in the day time at night breastfed him you know I guess he lost interest. I well be hard but you just have to be tough and let him cry it out!!!!!!!!!!
    elisabellaguna

Answer by elisabellaguna at 11:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• When I weaned my daughter at 21 months old I night weaned her 1st. I just started wearing tshirts to bed and saying boobies are for babies not for big boys. then at night time just hold him and rock him in your arms (when i done this we were co-sleeping) he will cry and whine for about 30-40 mins for the 1st time until he gets exhausted and tires himself out. you do the same thing every night then each night he will get the point of what your doing and cry and whine less each night. It will take say 45 min the 1st night then 30 min the next night then 25 min the next night then less time the next night and so on. after about 2 weeks he will go to sleep w/o nursing then you can work on the day time weaning. If he is nursing more then once a day when it comes to the time thats he usually nurses give him something else to drink besides breastmilk. When i weaned kelly she was nursing to take a nap and to go to bed, so I just did
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:24 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• the same thing i did to daytime wean her as I did when I night weaned her. It will take alot of patience too. but It will work. It took me a month to fully wean kelly. now she is 22 months old and will go to sleep by herself. but she still co-sleeps. She just wants to cuddle til she falls asleep at night time. and she will take a nap during the day whenever she gets tired and wants to take a nap. Goodluck Now Im working on potty training her :)
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 11:31 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Two is not the recommended age to stop --it's the recommended age to breastfeed *at least* until...

What you are describing is normal behavior --both in terms of his interest in nursing and his attachment to you.

In case you're wondering since you implied it, he's not getting an erection and drooling at your boobs because he's a future (or current) pervert, he's happy about them because with them he finds safety, security, comfort, love, warmth, affection, satisfaction and peace.

He will wean. Really. They all do.

You can wean him, if you want to, it's your body and your relationship, too. But I wonder if you're thinking about yourself and what you want and how that's the most important thing in your house all the time, or what is best for him, what he wants, what he needs and what's important for his healthy life? Just wonderin'...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Linda Clement, I think you took it all in the wrong direction. I too want to wean my 15 month son and he too pulls at my shirt. No one here said it was because they thought it was a pervert move....your response was rude and made an innocent situaton sound dirty. YOu probably made the mom uncomfortable and ashamed for wanting to wean. You never know what someone is going through....she could be starting a job or something. Anyways, keep your Wonders to yourself and maybe you shouldn't respond unless you have some helpful or useful tips....not just a rude, nosey comment that judge the mom
    Fallon_Long

Answer by Fallon_Long at 2:31 AM on Aug. 7, 2010

• Thank you
    kristina1310

Comment by kristina1310 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Aug. 14, 2010