Would this pi** You off ? Job/co worker relationship related?

I started working this job at the beginging of summer. The woman that I was to be working with had decided she was only going to work for maybe 3 days per week since she was moving and the work load had gotten larger. Well, about a week and a half into my training,she breaks up w/her boyfriend and moves back home w/her mom. She tells the boss that she will no longer be needing me. Well,at that time I was not fully trained but my question to you is,should her situation change be a reason for me to pissed? I mean,now she is like,oh,I want my hours back!! What do you think the boss should do??

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 11:14 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Where I live, you can't be fired (or 'constructively fired' by having your hours reduced) without negotiation --and agreement on your part. Your employer entered into an agreement to purchase your time, and cannot simply back out of it because someone changed their minds about something.

You would be entitled to complete your training, with 100% of the hours you were offered plus severance pay that would cover you until you were hired at a comparable job, or an equivalent position at the same hours and pay somewhere else in the same company (in the same building, if possible), or she could suck it up and whistle for it --her changing situation does not affect, legally, your rights or the contract with your employer, even if it was her situation that caused you to be hired.

You can't 'unresign' once you've been replaced. Her change in situation would be viewed by employment courts here, as entirely her problem.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:19 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• LOL Sorry honey, you're SOL! would be what I'd HOPE the boss would say. It doesn't sound right for her to whine to the boss and s/he give the chick her job back, but IDK...where I live, you can get fired for smelling funny or having brown hair, so the circumstances would be different. If you're that concerned I would suggest voicing your concerns to your boss.
    nappeal

Answer by nappeal at 11:25 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Well IF they hired you for relief purposes and you knew it, I guess they can lay you off.

I would look for something else anyway, they sound like TOO MUCH DRAMA to me. Better get out in one piece! LOL! Good luck to you.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 11:45 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It depends. I live in PA and that is an 'at will' state when it comes to employment. A few years ago, my sister got a job at a doctor's office to replace someone who was getting a job elsewhere. She only worked two weeks when the woman came back and said she hated her new job and wanted her job back. The office gave the woman her job back and told my sister she would no longer be needed. This left my sis without a job as she had quit her previous full time job to take this one.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• in my line of work that wouldn't fly. Once you give up your hours you can't just take them back. But I work for a large bank.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• They can let you go at any time for no reason what-so-ever. It is also the bosses decision. You can be as pissed as you want. but the boss will decided who stays and who goes unless you decide to go on your own. Is it nice? NO. Would I like being in that situation? NO. But it is what it is, and you may just need to move on.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 1:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Is she sleeping with your boss? He can do wharever he feels like doing.Is he approachable? If he is,I'd talk to him and let him know how you feel.Then,you'll know where you stand.Are you on any type of 30-60-90 day probation?Some companies have a probation period for new employees.And when your probation is up,you'll be evaluated for your work performance.If he does let you go,you'll be able to get unemployment.But,I really don't think that will happen.Good luck sweetie.I think you'll be just fine.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 1:53 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Thanks all:) I know the boss well and he is a resonable and fair person. He told me that he has to consider her senior to me since she has been there for about two yrs(not w/o much drama from what I get). I guess what was most irritating was the way she bacame irritated with ME because I was showing up when SHE was the one that requested me. My boss had me on a three way call when we last talked about this and would you believe she had the nerve to wine that she really needed someone who she could just call to come in,in case her kids got sick,since she has nobody to wacth them.
    I know,I can be as pissed as I want to be and it won't amount to any thing. I am. IDK what is going to happen w/this,Its in the wait and see stage right now. I have decided ti stick it out for as long as I can. We live in a "right to work" state so anything can happen w/this but I know for sure she's not sleeping w/the boss.
    momthruivf

Comment by momthruivf (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010