how many washes do cloth diapers last?

i am thinking about starting to do cloth diapering and i wanted to know how many times i could wash them before having to replace them

happy-go-lucky

Asked by happy-go-lucky at 11:34 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister- in- law has fitted diapers that have gone through her 4 kids and I am using them on my son! A few of them have needed to have the elastic fixed but they are on the 5 th kid!
    new_mom_in_2010

Answer by new_mom_in_2010 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• A bazillion. LOL My mom had them for me and they weren't like they are now. She washed all the time and they were still good to use as burp rags for my son.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Lots and lots. It can depend on the type of diaper you use. Many now have elastic or velcro which may wear out but can be replaced. My guess is thought they'll last through a kid or two before you'd need to do any repairs.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's like asking howmany licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. Cloth diapers can go through multiple children, especially flats and prefolds.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:54 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We bought diapers twice: once for each baby.

We selected flat flannel, because they're cheap and can be used for lots of things (they make great car-washing rags when they've been washed a million times) and because they dry faster than pre-folded diapers and have no velcro to get wrecked or to wreck anything else... I don't know that I'd pick those now, but they were the most economical, simple option at the time.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've been washing mine for 5 months, 2-3 times a week and they still look brand new. :) They last for a very long time
    bensmum25

Answer by bensmum25 at 11:55 AM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I've been using them for 11 months and they're still in very good shape.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I used pretty much the same diapers for my daughter for 3 years, and now my son is using them, so A LOT. It really depends on though on things like what type of diaper, your washing routine, etc.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010