I'm pregnant- why does my heart beat really fast sometimes, even when I'm just sitting down

goodchar130

Asked by goodchar130 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know why, but you are not alone. That always happened to me too.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 12:05 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I had this problem early on with my first. There were a couple reasons.
    #1. My potassium was really low. So the night it was bad enough to send me to the ER they gave me potassium pills and after that I had to make sure to eat lots of bananas and other potassium rich foods.
    #2. I was diagnosed with a "flow murmur" which basically meant pregnancy created a heart murmur (or at least made it detectable) because my body wasn't accepting the extra blood flow as easily as most women do.

Is it after you eat? I know my doctor told me for some reason that eating can raise your heart rate while pregnant if you eat and get right up. I would have to sit for at least 10 minutes after eating before getting up.

How far along are you? If it is really early on it could be similar to what I had.

Either way it's best to mention it to your doctor just to be on the safe side. :o)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:07 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Not sure exactly, but when a woman is pregnant she does have more blood pumping through her body than she would normally. Could be the heart is working harder.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• im 27 weeks, and the same thing is happening to me. I started feeling my heart beat fast around my 20th week as it wasnt as bad as now but i do have a slight heart murmur bc of the pregnancy. and its common in pregnant women. dont worry too much, however call your doc and let them know asap what your experiencing. if u have any questions send me a msg. but yes i have same exact feeling.

I can be laying down and doing nothig and feel it, i can be watching tv sitting up and feel it. try not to eat many sweets and drink LOTS of water.
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 12:58 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Your blood volume quadruples when you are pregnant. That means your heart pumps 4 times more blood, that's why.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010