Bill to revoke China trade status, right thing?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Amid deep, election-year anger at China, a US lawmaker has introduced a bill aimed at stripping Beijing of a special trade status given to key partners and overhauling the two powers' commercial ties.

Democratic Representative Brad Sherman's proposal, unveiled Wednesday, calls for revoking China's "permanent normal trade relations" (PNTR) standing, which lowers US duties on its goods to the level enjoyed by other key partners.

"The US-China trade relationship is horrendously lopsided, and it has not lived up to the promises of those who encouraged us to give preferential trade treatment to China," he said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100805/pl_afp/uschinatradepolitics

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes. The relationship should be equal.

Never going to happen though...it would cripple Walmart and the like, prices would go up, and we've disintegrated our capacity to engage in manufacturing to the point that we are only capable of making cars (and that is just cause they are too expensive to ship), so it's not like we'd be able to fill in the void anytime soon.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:18 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It is the right thing to do. Things need to be evened up. If we can't get goods or if they are too expensive it will encourage industrial growth in the US. Industrial growth is the key to restoring jobs and the economy.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Wow. Part of my wants to get the pom poms out and see how high I can still jump.

The other part of me is wondering what happens if China gets mad.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Totally right! They should have to pay the duties and taxes on their exported products just like we do. If it means importing fewer things into the states, I'm fine with that. Bring production back to the US and start employing our own people again!! I've already refused to buy stuff made in China. It's sub-standard. And, they don't have the same health standards we do therefore causing TONS of recalls.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:11 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes-the right thing.

Its steph- re-read the question. Is it the right thing?
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Sure piss off the people that own, and buy up our debt. Not a smart move.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It's one guy and an idea. It will never happen.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Sure, it's the RIGHT thing. But the RIGHT thing was never the thing that was done in the US-China Trade Bend Over. We have NEVER been equal with China, and China has ALWAYS been an ass of a trade partner. This mess is decades in the making.

So SHOULD it happen? I would love to say yes, but China has us over a barrel, and they love it. And we have stupidly allowed ourselves to be led there year after year. What would happen if we did this? We would feel the anger of a shitty and vindictive trade master.

It would be RIGHT. But I am not sure it would be the smart, or the best thing to do. I personally would LOVE to see China have to pay like everyone else does.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 9:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010