If your child was born with a tail, would you have it removed?

My DH was just flipping through channels and there was a lady talking about how her son was born with 11 fingers and she had the surgery to have the 11th removed because she wanted him to have a normal life. The father has filed for custody and is trying to sue because he feels it wasn't her choice to change the way "God made him" it should have been left up to him. He feels it was abuse of power and that she should lose her parental rights.

Which got my DH and I to talking. If it were our child - what would we do? What if it was something bigger, like a tail? Then what would we do??

For us, it was really no question, we would have the finger or tail removed simply so they could go through life without dealing with the extra ridicule and abuse... But what about you all?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• of course as long as it wouldnt be life threatening..i'm sure it would be a simple procedure.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i agree with you. i couldnt do that to my child knowing how kids make fun of glasses. i actually had a friend in high school who had the sixth fingers removes at birth though and he had to have 5 different surgeries because they seemed to grow with him so he would have stumps and they would go remove them again.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'd have it removed.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Depends. Tail? Probably, that would just be a hinderence in clothes. Extra finger? Well, if it was functional, no. If it was not functional, yes.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would remove both the finger or the tail. Kids are cruel.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:20 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Considering the fact that it is, as far as I can tell, considered totally normal to be ridiculed and abused, period, I wouldn't do surgery on a baby to avoid it. There is no such thing as surgery that is not life threatening--all surgery comes with the risk of death.

The fact that people's reasons for doing elective surgery on a very young child who can't even understand it, much less consent to it, because 'kids are cruel' suggest that there is something very, very wrong with our society and the sooner every adult on the block stops playing along with it like it's okay, or inevitable, or necessary or 'normal', the better.

Can you imagine thinking having a child is a good idea, in a world where you expect the child to be ridiculed and abused?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I'd like to ask this question to those who are so anti-circumcision, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No, no I wouldn't. I would let the child make the decision when they got older. I know someone with six fingers on one hand, and he thinks it's the coolest thing! (He would have been pissed had his parents removed it.) Same with a tail- if my child is born that way, they can decide if they want to alter their body. Even at 6 or 7, if they expressed the desire, THEN I would have it removed. Before that... you don't know if your child will like being different or weird. Sometimes the differences make a kid stand out!
    I know that kids are cruel- I was one. That doesn't mean your child will care!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 9:20 AM on Aug. 7, 2010