when can i start giving my son the veggies n fruit purees

my son has been at the cereal since he turned 4 months he loves it and everytime he sees us eating he starts opening his mouth so i give him his cereal when we eat so he doesnt feel left out. but i was wondering how soon can i start giving him the little gerber purees. his 5 months old now

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

you don't need to fuss or puree unless you really want to. Babies are often content to play with a spoon at mealtime, their desire is to participate, though not necessarily eat kwim? the current research has noticed links of early solids to issues like ibs, but no drawbacks to waiting to 6 months or later.

some old fashiond advice is good (cloth diapering), and some isbased on misunderstandings and the poorer quality of formulas of the day. Formula was invented because foundlings usually died because they (babies) are incapable of extracting nutrition from anything but human milk. fortified rice cereal was given because the formulas didn't have iron or enough of it. it was the lesser of 2 evils to give cereal. modern formula has an overload of iron as it is because ...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• We did no jar food or rice cereal (rice cereal takes too much room with no value as a baby can't digest it--they don't have the right digestive enzymes yet),jar. At 6m my baby was interested in food but not quite physically ready. AT 7 1/2 months she was ready and we went direct to self feeds and table food mealsharing. We started w/ avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, ripe pear, banana, blueberries from my pancakes, ripe peach, soft beans, soft lightly cooked eating apples. Easy peasy and practically free. She didn't eat much, but just enough to satisfy herself. We don't measure things. she breastfeeds. She decides when she's had enough. she's had everything from a 3 bean chili to guacamole to asparagus, to kiwi to broccoli, cauliflower, persimmon and anything except meat, fish, dairy, and grains other than some bread. She is 10 1/2 months now. We follow babyled weaning
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would skip expensive purees and if he can sit up and reach for food, I would offer him chunks of real avocado or banana or baked sweet potato. Cereal isn't really that great for him anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:09 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• ...the iron used is difficult to absorb. rice cereal for iron purposes is overkill for formula babies on iron formula and it interferes with iron absorbtion in bfed babies. the iron in whole table foods is best and easiest to obtain.

btw you don't have to do veggies first. breastmilk is naturally sweet and formula is sweetened to make it palatable. babies are very familiar with sweet. the problem only appears with jar veggies which usually taste horribly bland and overcooked (part of the preservation process) so babies of course have been tricked into eating it by fruit-on-spoon deception.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:29 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You could start right now if you wanted to. I started my 1st dd on veggies at 3 1/2-4 months
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:08 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I started my DD on veggies at about 3 1/2 mos. We started with veggies b/c we didn't want her to have to much of a sweet tooth like mommy and she loves veggies and would eat them all day if I let her. Start when you feel that you are ready but I totally recommend making your own purees b/c it will save you a TON of money. I was saving about $60 a month when I started making my own.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ask your pedatrician. That's the only person who can tell you based on your child's past health and his development when he's ready.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• cereal is completely not necessary - - Mash up some bananas and avocados and let baby go to town feeding himself.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think you can start once they start showing interest in your food.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 3:22 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Most ladies will tell you don't start anything until he's a yr old. I on the other hand am old fashioned and I started giving all my kids cereal at 2 weeks and I was into giving them fruits then veggies at about 4 months. My kids are 32 30 &8 and they are all fine. Just do what you feel is right for your child
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 6, 2010