Have you ever been eating at someone's home and really hated what they made?

Did you eat it anyway? Come up with an excuse not to eat?

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 12:12 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Not since I was a kid. My best friends mother got it into her head that I loved squash, which I hated. I ate 2 servings everytime I was there because she was trying to be nice. Now I like squash!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• all the time. My mil has good intentions, but her food is just not what I'm used to. I eat it anyways though, just to show my dd good manners and to get her to eat hers.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:14 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes, I have. Not in a long time though. When I was about 15 I stayed all night with one of my friends. Her mom made chicken & dumplings (which I hate), but I ate it anyways to be polite. As soon as we got up from the table, I threw up all over the floor. So, from then on, I don't eat anything just to "be polite". I find a way to just eat whatever else they are having (like all the sides, but not the meat, etc). Better to offend them by not eating something, than to puke it back up on thier floor!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• oohh and i hated thanksgiving...i'm from the south and for our thanksgivings we do it up big time..we have every kind of casserole dish you can think of, turkey, ham, dressings, ...my MIL cooked last year and what did we have? roast, green beans, mash potatoes, kraft mac n cheese, and cranberry sauce...omg it was so sad i wanted my family so bad! I'm having my grandmother invite them over this year.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yeah, my MIL made eggs and with cheese in them and topped it with sour cream. Two things I cannot stand is cheese in my eggs and sour cream. Luckily I was newly pregnant so I blamed picking at her food on morning nausea. When my father's adultress makes food, but she salts it so much that I have to drink a lot and then she self diagnoses me as a diabetic because I go through many bottles of water. I do not add very much salt to my food so I was not used to that much salt and it made me very thirsty.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• yes, everytime i eat at my MILs i hate it. I do eat it anyways and compliment her because i don't want to hurt her feelings..sometimes i even go for seconds. She never seasons her food...she always wants to cook the same thing (roast)..with mash potatoes and green beans...and the roast is always so dry that you can't even bite into it. She thinks we love it so much she sends all the left overs home with us...they go strait into the garbage can.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:15 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes when I first met my dh we were all going to his parents that lived about 800 miles away and we were going for Thanksgiving so there were going to be a lot of us there. She made Spaghetti & I can't stand that stuff but I ate all the extras. My MIL asked my dh what was wrong & he said she don't like spaghetti. We never had it again there wasn't that nice. Oh how I miss that woman.
    The spagehtti wasn't for Thanksgiving it was for the day before when we all arrived from all over the place
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Yes. O...m...g. Recently, we went to my Grandma's house and she made some kinda of crab quiche! It was soooooo gross.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:06 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I can't remember having to eat anything I really hated, but I have eaten some things that weren't very good. I think my least favorite was beef tips in gravy w/ noodles. Lots of people like it, I just found it to be a flavorless glob on my plate. I used lots of pepper, but it didn't change the consistency of it. Maybe it was just a textural issue for me. The thought of it still turns my stomach though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:04 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• No thankfully.. I always have that fear though!
    If its just one thing i wouldnt worry about it..
    My dh is a picky eater & everyone knows it. so if he doesnt eat much when we visit people should understand ITS HIM! Not the cook!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 6, 2010