Why do people seem to think that 60+ year old advise is still fine to hand out?

I mean yes, we didn't have carseats and were fine, we were fed food the second we popped out of the womb and are "ok", slept on our stomachs from birth and lived.....but, there are others that didn't make it. And they are the reasons laws and guidelines and recommendations have changed since then. Why not research and see if the changes are valid, don't look to you or your kids and assume that because they made it everything is fine. Because, some other mom no longer has her child and that child's death led to studies and changes.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:26 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• The argument "well I/my kids turned out just fine" irks me to no end! Just because you did something with potential risks and turned out fine doesn't mean everyone will fare the same. Why not use factual information to make your decisions instead of taking a shot in the dark?

That said, I do recognize that older generations are full of wisdom and I have great respect for that. I just don't always take everything they say as the final word.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I think it depends on the advice. In many cases I have found that the "old lady advice" is much better than anything you'll get today! Not all of it of course, but children were stronger and healthier in many cases than they are today, because of the way the were treated... A great example is the BF or FF debate. I don't know many "old ladies" that would tell you to formula feed, on the other hand, many doctors will. And I think a lot of things have gone WAY over board today, we act like babies are breakable and vulnerable, when the truth is they aren't...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• it does depend on the advice....laws change all the time too..who knows, 5 years from now they may say that a newborn shouldnt sleep on their back..they are always doing studies and changing stuff.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would not throw out the "Old Lady" advise with the bathwater just yet. Not all "Old Ladies" are out of touch. I am 55 and have raised 4 daughters 5 granchildren (one on the eay the end of the month) and ran a family daycare for over 20 years. Advise is just what it is.The internet provides so much info to weigh out the advise and then you can make a good choice. My grandmother taught me that when you have diarreha you eat applesauce...while doctors pump you full of pills or recommend Kaopectate, applesauce has natural pectin and that is why they call it Kaopectate for the pectin! My grandmother was born in 1901 and her advise still works and my daughters use this advise. So always weigh it out. I just wrote an ebook about childcare and to be honest mothers of today do not have a clue as to what they should ask a provider before they leave their child but an "Old Lady" would know!
    Joann617

Answer by Joann617 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• ya grandma's do this a lot becausae they say they had #### of kids and they all turned out fine- I either ignore them or set them straight about new rules/laws if they are watching my LO's.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I agree. If we thought everything that happened in the past was okay then it would be okay to sleep around like in the 70's because diseases would just be part of everyday life, we could eat whatever we want because food allergies are just natures way of saying you weren't meant to be, new surgeries wouldn't be necessary to correct things because why bother with what was given to us at birth even if it IS deadly? Etc, etc, etc

That's always my argument... SURE, you ARE right and so are THESE completely crazy actions!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:33 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You're talking about a certain grammy that begins with a G aren't ya? *sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• That is exactly why I did things my way with my kids... and did NOT listen to my MIL!!!! LOL

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• And I think a lot of things have gone WAY over board today, we act like babies are breakable and vulnerable, when the truth is they aren't...

***

^^^ THIS!! In addition to taking each day "one step at a time" and not sweat the small stuff is important. It seems to me that many moms are trying to be the absolute perfect parent, when there is no such thing. The important thing to remember is you do what you feel is in the best interest of your child at the time.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:56 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• LOL @ ObbyDobbie, not this time surprisingly.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010