how can i make my 2 yr old a little more social

i try taking him to the park even made play dates in my house so he could feel a little better being in his own enviroment well he prefers to sit in the stairs and just look at how the other kids are playing. i tried playing with him but he runs away. and when the kids talk to him he runs away his really shy. but when his alone his a trouble maker running everywhere and everythign like is he was a very outgoing kid

Alejandra10

Asked by Alejandra10 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave him alone. He's far too young to understand anything social like 'taking turns' or 'non-violent activity' yet, and he really, really does not need to learn to be a kid. Besides, if he's content to watch them and see what they do, why 'fix' it? A content, quiet 2yo? Most parents wouldn't even believe those exist, much less that having one would be seen as a problem.

Kids are naturally able to be kids, it's them growing up to be adults that's the challenge (there are so few examples around most kids). As long as he's with you, he needs no one else at all. Everyone else is frosting on the cake.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• My middle child, who is now 5, has always been this way. There is nothing wrong with it, and not anything you can really do to "cure" it so to speak. :) Just keep doing what you're doing, go to the park, story times at the library, play dates, etc. It's important that they experience the social setting, but nothing wrong with keeping to themselves.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• You can't make him more social. All you can do is introduce the setting multiple times and let him get used to it. I have six kids....a couple of them are more on the shy side for new situations....I have one that will not even speak unless he is comfortable enough.
    semazani

Answer by semazani at 12:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• It sounds like you are doing a lot of the right things, but maybe he's just in a little shy phase. That's okay. I think one thing that is important is for him to always feel like you are on his side (after all, mom is his safe spot). This should actually help his confidence. For example, if he just wants to sit on the steps and watch the kids at the park, maybe sit next to him and talk with him about the neat things he's watching. Don't even try to encourage him to go out at first, just share his experience with him. After a while, he might get up the courage to go try something, or you might just spend some nice time sitting in a shady spot in the park and talking with your son. :) When he feels safe, he'll be more likely to try something a little scary. And when/if he gets up to go, sit back and let him go (without you). I think it's really easy for pressure (even with the best intentions) to backfire on a kid.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• helping him learn and practice games and activities at home that are popular at school. Aside from being a good way to practice skills such as reading, counting, and fitness, learning these games will help your child participate in them with other children. He will feel more confident and enjoy his interaction with others if he knows the games and can play them with some skill.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 12:34 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try play groups in your area.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 4:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Some kids are shy. I know I was! My guy is a little shy too. The best thing you can do is what the other posters said - encourage him, take him out places where other kids are playing. And do NOT PRESSURE HIM. Let him find his way in his time. If he has his mama always hanging over him, nagging him about how shy he is and pushing him to do things he is not comfortable with, that will absolutely not help. Its really OK to be introverted, there's nothing wrong with it - lots of us are and we are quite happy that way :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 4:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2010