Under arm hair?

My daughter is almsot 10 and she has hair under her arms. She wants to get rid of it. is there any good products to her her get the hair off, besides a razor? She is getting self concious (sp) because of it. Does any of your daughters have hair under their arms this early? I didn't get hair under my arms until I was 12. Also, does this mean she will get her period soon? I didn't start until I was 12.

PoisonousBlonde

Asked by PoisonousBlonde at 12:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i went into early puberty-hair and periods at 9. that's weet of you to let her take care of it, my family wouldn't let me use anything until i was fourteen. i found veet, or even nair can work on that, or even remington makes a female electric razor that doesn't cut skin but it can take alittle bit of time. good luck! and tell your daughter congrats and welcome to womanhood!
    on the second question, hair usually means periods come soon, but every girl is different.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• She's hitting puberty- I would make sure she is prepared for good old aunt flo!! Make sure she keeps a change of undies, pants, and a few pads with her in her backpack so that she doesn't get teased if she arrives at school!!!

You could try Veet, but teaching her how to use a razor is best- I get a chemical burn from all of those products.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:37 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Nair or veet work well.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 12:36 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I got hair under my arms when I was her age but I used a razor. My mom gave me the hair removal stuff but my skin broke out so bad that i was in tears because of how much it hurt/burned/itched....i don't know if everyone has that reaction at that age but I would suggest just going with the razor.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 12:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would get her a razor. Like a cheap disposable kind. And yeah, make sure she understands about her period.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I shave my dd's armpits for her. She is 8 1/2 and has a few hairs. The doctor said puberty has 2 phases caused by 2 different hormones. The one that causes hair growth does not indicate when she will start her period. It is after she gets breast buds that you can start the count down to the period. It is usually 2 yrs after the beginning stages of breast buds that the period will start.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Ria7- I don't doubt that that is what your dr said, but from personal experience, I got my first period BEFORE I had any signs of budding- not even increased sensitivity, then within 6 months I went from ZERO to having a C cup, and I got my first period when I was 11.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• The one razor I liked was the one with protection all around it. Called Shick intuition. If you don't show her how. She may help herself.. All this to fit in. I told my DD's not to shave above their knees. It wasn't necessary.. Since we all have fine blond hair,. But turns out my oldest DD took it upon herself to start secretly at 10. Since her friends did! Myself I lost all of my hair to cancer/Chemo this year. I wish you the best.. They do grow up too fast.. But then you may become closer. Like I am with my own married DD's!! Enjoy it all.. Making memories!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 12:57 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would show her how to use veet, it easy to use and no accidental cuting her armpit.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Maybe try an electric razor? Less chance of her cutting herself, and may seem less scary for her.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2010