Do you know kids who waste food like this?

My kids were always taught to not take more than you can eat or drink & finish what you have. I'm not cruel. I understand when one gets full. Here's what I'm really talking about. I am nannying 3 kids over the summer. 8yr old twin girls & their 10yr old brother. The refuse to eat sandwiches without the crust cut off. They invariably leave 1/2"-1" of milk, juice, beverage in the bottoms of thier glasses, 1/2 a bowl of cereal down the sink, etc. I've tried to teach them how much money they are throwing away & pouring down the sink. The only thing I have been successful with is my rule of being able to see the bottom of the inside of the glass before they take it to the sink. It's driving me crazy.

specialwingz

Asked by specialwingz at 12:38 PM on Aug. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Wow I bet that is tough to watch. Maybe have them watch something about kids in africa who are starving. It may be a clip on youtube.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 12:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Try giving them less food, and if they want more they can come back fo seconds
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• There is only so much you will be able to do with someone else's kids. You can restrict them to half a bowl of cereal and half a glass of juice or milk. If they finish they may have a little more. My daughter is a compulsive waster and this is what we have done with her.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I would also start by giving them less, and if they ask why tell them and let them know they are more than welcome to a second helping, but if they take that second helping they must finish it. That's what I do.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• my dd just wasted half the cereal i gave her. usually i only give her food on a scedule and not in between that way i know she will eat it. and if she doesnt, i save it for her and she can eat it later.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• i wouldn't give them full portions, i would tell them there are leftovers but that doesnt mean you dont eat others first. i wouldnt give them more than half a galss at a time either.
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 12:43 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• I let my kids waste as much food as they want. IMHO teaching children to finish their plates is the road to obesity. My daughter can be eating a bowl of her favorite icecream get half way through, push the bowl away and say she's had enough. I would never force her to eat more. And, I will never for the life of me understand how unwanted food is less wasted on a child's belly than down the sink. I also feel that making a child finish something first before they can have something sweet is the road to obesity too.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• Mine do. I have 2 that have to have the crust off the sandwiches too. I don't have a problem with it. As for milk and juice, I only poor small amounts and if they want more they can have more.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• With these kids, it's not about large portions. No matter how little you give them, they will make sure to leave food and/or drink behind. Ijust keep telling myself that school starts in a couple of weeks. I can do this...I can do this...I can do this...LOL.
    specialwingz

Comment by specialwingz (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Aug. 6, 2010

• onethentwins2 - it's not about them being full. As I said in my orig post, I understand full. This ISN'T about being full. It's about kids who, if given 1/2 a sandwich, they'll throw 1/2 of it away. If given 1/4 sandwich, they'll make sure they eat half and throw the rest away. If you give them 12 french fries, they will throw away 6. If you give them 6 they will throw away 3. This is how they eat EVERYTHING! Now, do you get it?
    specialwingz

Comment by specialwingz (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2010